Boating from Norfolk to Annaplis

F18amec

Reaction score
Hi All,
Looking for some information about going from Norfolk up to Annapolis. Approximatly how long would it take, leaving from Little Creek, Crusing at about 25-30 mph depending on condtions of course. Place to stop along the way, marinas, places to eat etc.
Will be taking the trip in late June or early July. Will be traveling with on a 208 Adventure with 150 4 stroke and four people, two adults and two kids.
Thanks in advance.

Rick

Frank G

Reaction score
Rick.
Its about 140 mile trip. I would suggest a stop over in Solomons Md. There are a number of marinas but our favorite is Spring Cove. Its about 2 blocks from a very nice kid friendly museum and from 2 motels in case you do not want to stay overnite on the boat. At that time of year, they run a solar powered golf cart shuttle all over town so you can dine at any of the relatively good restaurants. Its also a neat town for a visit.

grady23

Reaction score
A trip of 140 miles w/ 4 people in a 20Ft boat is going to be interesting. With the Chesapeake, you had better hope for following seas for most or all of the trip. I would make plans for at least 4 stops in case of bad weather, fog, or whatever reasons. Most of the bad weather approaches from the West or South-west that time of year. Thunder storms can pop up from "Nowhere" as well. What are your fuel burn rates and how much do you plan to keep in reserve? Do you already have a place to stay in Annapolis? Rooms can be hard to find at the height of the season. Same thing at Solomons. Is there going to be a return trip??
BTW--- when approaching Solomon's from the South --- Be aware that there is a Navy controlled targeting area that runs for almost 5 miles on the Western side all the way out to the main channel. Keep your radio on Ch16 and watch for the patrol boat usually around bouy 70-72. Check your chart book for the exact location. They no longer drop live ordinance there, but they do drop things large enough to sink your boat or kill someone.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Rick,

I have made this trip numerous times, in both sailboats and powerboats. Very familiar with the Bay and all the options for stopping.

Happy to spend some time doing "voyage planning" with you. Just email me - you should still have it from when you were in the TGWC.

Brian

Jaeger Grady

Reaction score
Places that I would stay/stop at on the way up are the following (I know Solomons north) Solomons, Cambridge, Knapps narrows, Chesapeake beach and Annapolis. Stops for food and fun, Tiki Bar Solomons (drinks and down town sites), Cambridge (Hyatt its a resort great food and lots to do for kids), Lowes Wharf Sherwood MD (great bar and beach for kids), Knapps Narrows (Tilghman island inn or Bay hundred food), Chesapeake beach ( great bar/food and water park across from resort) Annapolis you name it I live here and can give you a million ideas. Question is are you trying to sleep on the boat or marinas with hotels?

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Smith Island a pretty neat place to stop at. Nice hotel on the Island, and lots of rockfish!!! No fish wardens over there, either.....

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't want to be a wet blanket here but that 140 mile run in a 208/150HP with 4 people and gear is going to take over seven hours at least. You will be hard pressed to run 25 to 30 MPH with that set up unless you are running full throttle all the way. Just saying as a 208/200HP owner who has made the 70 mile trip from home to Charleston on the ICW many times. The Chesapeake Bay is a wonderful treasure but she can throw some quick and nasty storms at you.