bolster foam

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Next project is the cockpit bolsters. I have the vinyl fabric, staple gun, etc... no sewing. Am a bit overwhelmed by the foam choices. Any suggestions as to type and thickness would be appreciated.
thanks

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
SailRite is a good source. Most people use the less expensive foams. Wrap the foam in a thin plastic Cushion Wrap silk plastic before installing (Sailrite). This will help keep water out.

There are lots of staples in them. Husky 4" tack puller from Home Depot. Stainless staples are a must. Pneumatic stapler helpful.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have all the tools, just need guidance on thickness of foam

seasick

Reaction score
I bought a half sheet of Dryfast foam from the foam factory in 2 inch thickness. That was OK for the flat sections of my bolsters but the inside corner where my bolsters wrapped around the gunnels to the the transom needed 2 layers of 2 inch. The Dryfast foam will not absorb water. Water runs right through it as if it weren't there. You can not use (easily) liquid contact cement since that runs right though it too. 3M spray adhesive works.
The foam can be shaped with an electric carving knife and the edges of my bolsters needed to be rounded and shaped as did the corner section also.
Monel staples are recommended, not stainless. Mine are showing their age now. The seaquest pleated vinyl is getting a bit dried out but I redid them about 12 years ago

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I would take this opportunity to make the bolsters as thick as you want to - it's your boat... MAKE it yours :)

Yes, monel is better than SS.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
thanks, sounds like 2 in is the one. i use monel

seasick

Reaction score
I didn't point out in my earlier post that I used the 2 inch because that was the closest size to the old foam. Since I used the old bolster vinyl as templates, it was important that the new bolsters were similar in size to the old ones.
If your bolsters wrap around the back, construction will be significantly more difficult. If you use welting on the end caps pieces, assembly is also harder. I did not use the clear plastic wrap over the foam since the Dryfast does not hold water. I did use a strip of Phifertex mesh material on the bottom edge to allow draining and ventilation. I also installed metal grommets in that mesh so that I could screw the bolster on using screws inserted into the grommet holes.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
interesting info about monel

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
The monel staples may be hard to find. Don't remember where I got mine but that was only one size and now I would get some other sizes to stock up as well. Any suggestions for source (have not looked around at all)

found some on Amazon but they are of course marine priced.

H

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The monel staples may be hard to find. Don't remember where I got mine but that was only one size and now I would get some other sizes to stock up as well. Any suggestions for source (have not looked around at all)

found some on Amazon but they are of course marine priced.

H
Sometimes HD or Lowes has them. They are never cheap. I got them on Amazon the last time. Make sure you hide them from your wife & kids and leave the stapler loaded with cheap steel staples.

Highly recommend a pneumatic stapler.

seasick

Reaction score
I could never find them at HD or Lowes. I ordered online. They are expensive as far as staples go. For my 208 bolsters, I used almost two packages of staples I think I got the1/4 size but I am not certain.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think that I used 992 out of a pack of 1000. 3/8 inch, and an electric stapler worked fine for me.

OP is not using a sewing machine, or mesh along the bottom of the bolster, but a couple of tips for anyone using this as a reference thread in the future.
Phifertex does not stretch like vinyldoes, so you can very easily end up with a curve on the bottom edge, especially if you are sewing across the roll and pleat.
IMG_2146.jpeg
I learned this on the second bolster, after cutting the first along the factory edge, where the pleats do not go all the way to the edge. In the future, I would cut one bolster from each edge, instead of two side-by-side, and sew the Phifertex 1/4 of an inch from where the roll and pleat starts. Cut away that inch or so of foam underneath.
IMG_2144.jpeg
If you are using mesh, staple the bottom edge of the bolster first, to keep that seam from creeping around the edge in places along the bottom, and to keep your mesh a consistent width.
If your bolster is going to be 2 inches thick, draw a line along the mesh an inch and a half from the seam, and staple that line to the edge of your board.

If your bolster has a 90° inside curve, like the Seafarer, dead center of that curve is your starting point for stapling. Get that curve right, and tight, stapled top and bottom, and the rest is a breeze. I can’t tell you how to do that corner without a sewing machine. I was going to eliminate the curve, and do a two piece bolster, if I did not figure out the seam on some scrap vinyl. Trying to do that original insert to make the curve can cost you a lot of expensive vinyl if you don’t get it right the first time.image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
I used twice as many staples because I spaced them pretty much end to end with little space '