Bolster repair

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Anyone have a tip for repairing small rips in the bolster material? Last Sunday on a fishing trip one of my "good" fishing friends got two hooks stuck in the material and ripped it getting the hook out.
Thanks,

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've repaired small pokes and tears with white liquid electrical tape. It seems to be holding up.

The color doesn't match exactly. But it looks better than covering the tear with vinyl tape, which is another option.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I remember a firm called Dr. Vinyal. They did auto work. Maybe see if one is around or check with a high end dealership for ideas.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We repaired a 1' x1.5inch cut that was shaped like a "L" by sewing it shut. We used upostry needle which look like the letter C and is about 3 " long. We used cream colored thread and lopped it 4 times into the eye of the needle so you it wad 4 strands. Starting on the inside to hide the thread proceeded to sew the cut togehter with very close stitches but not so close to the cut you need some space at least a quarter inch so thread can take hold and not rip through. Needed to use needle nose plyers to pull needle through vinyl. Worked really well. Sorry no photos as we sold that boat a few years ago.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I needed two vinyl repairs since owning the boat. First one was for the fold down seat after a spiny dogfish tore into it. Second was when I dropped a knife on the companion seat. I had them both repaired by a local (TALENTED!!!!)bolster guy. He was able to use a special technique that involved glue, a torch, and special spray color match. Ya cant tell there was ever a repair done. Whatever you use make sure its UV resistant. I tried to do the rear seat with crazy glue and it just turned it yellow. It is possible to repair it. I would call your local canvass/bolster guys and ask them who the local talent is..Good luck

'05 300 Marlin F250's