Bottle cap liner fell into gas tank

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was adding fuel treatment today before fueling and the cardboard cap liner fell into the fuel fill and now is most likely on the bottom of my main tank. Damn. I suspect it could block the full flow if it finds its way to one of the the pick-up tubes. It would be nice if it would dissolve over the winter but I suppose that is wishful thinking since it is designed for a fuel treatment bottle (Biobor HB). Nevertheless, I put one of the cap liners in a jar of gas to see what happens in the 6 months until spring.

Does anyone have any thoughts or words of wisdom...?

Thanks,
-Scott

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Did you add fuel after it dropped it in? If not, there's an excellent chance that it's hung up anywhere the fill line starts to level out. At worst, it's down near the neck of the tank. Remove the fill line from the neck and try blowing some compressed air into the fill plate.

If you added fuel... yeah, that sucker is surely down there. UNLESS - what's the chance that there's some type of 'small hose blocker' at the fill neck of the tank (to defend against siphoning)?

If the other one is still in the jar (good idea), I guess you'll just have to wait it out and if you're engine starts to down, you know you've picked up the insert. I assume that Grady uses a screen of some type over the pickup tube. Does the insert float in the gas? This would be a good thing - just never let the fuel tank get really low.

Maybe you could try removing the fuel sender and looking in or siphon out the gas into containers (fill your cars up) until you get it?

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I looked down in with a flashlight and didn't see it so I went ahead and added fuel. I think the fuel treatment may have carried it down because I didn't react fast enough. It does sink in the gas and I could remove the sending unit and possible fish it out. The sending unit is pretty close to the back end of the tank which is there it would hopefully end up. I believe the screen is inside the tubes so that won't help. I could maybe add screens to the outside which might keep it from blocking one of the tubes.

seasick

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I looked down in with a flashlight and didn't see it so I went ahead and added fuel. I think the fuel treatment may have carried it down because I didn't react fast enough. It does sink in the gas and I could remove the sending unit and possible fish it out. The sending unit is pretty close to the back end of the tank which is there it would hopefully end up. I believe the screen is inside the tubes so that won't help. I could maybe add screens to the outside which might keep it from blocking one of the tubes.

I suspect you will be fine. You are not the first person do have that happen. If it sinks to the bottom in the tank ( did it sink in the test jar?), then is may just lay there where it sank. Most likely you won't see it if you remove the sender.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have always had this same fear! Sometimes the seal sticks to the bottle and not the cap, so I try to remember to look before I pour. Would hate to be in your position for sure!
I would do this if it was mine.....

Crank up boat on trailer (hope it is trailered) so it is fully tilted to the rear. Pull the fuel sending unit. Hope not totally fill as fuel will spill out at sending unit seal. Drain some or use it first and hope it does not clog. Also would hope it would not suck it up into the fill tube!
Then siphon remainder into car and fish it out. Hopefully, it would rest near the back due to tilt.

Yikes, lots to consider here for sure, but would not rest until it was found and removed.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Guys - thanks. I think this is what I will do. I use the boat once or twice before hauling for winter which will hopefully allow the cap liner to work it way back to the lowest part of the tank near the fuel sending unit. Over the winter, I will try to fish it out through there. If I can not see it, I might try to take advantage of the fact that the tank has two pick up tubes (to support twins) and plumb them in parallel with a 4-way Tee fitting. That is, I'll disconnect the two hoses from the gas switches and connect them to two arms of the 4-way fitting. I'll connect the other two arms back to the switches with short lengths of hose. For normal operation, the gas will be drawn thought the two pickup hoses simultaneously. If one of the pickup tubes gets plugged, the other tube will supply fuel to both switches.

Attachments

• 4way_fitting.jpg
    4way_fitting.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,609

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
onoahimahi said:
I was adding fuel treatment today before fueling and the cardboard cap liner fell into the fuel fill and now is most likely on the bottom of my main tank. Damn. I suspect it could block the full flow if it finds its way to one of the the pick-up tubes. It would be nice if it would dissolve over the winter but I suppose that is wishful thinking since it is designed for a fuel treatment bottle (Biobor HB). Nevertheless, I put one of the cap liners in a jar of gas to see what happens in the 6 months until spring.

Does anyone have any thoughts or words of wisdom...?

Thanks,
-Scott
I've yet to see a tank that didn't have a screen inside over the fuel port. Ask Grady they will know and if theres a screen don't worry about it

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I pulled the tube from my older boat and it had no screen. The first blockage point was the check valve fitting at the top of the tube.

I know on the Grady, there is no screen either as I am getting some residue in my filters that I am sure a screen would block. When I looked at the tubes when I had my fuel sending units removed for replacement, I carefully used a flashlight to inspect down into the tank and did not see any evidence of a screen unless it is inside the tube, but if there is one, it would have to be pretty large mesh. In either case, a cardboard or foil cap seal could get sucked up to the mouth of the tube and block while it has suction, even though it would be cut at a slight angle.

Good idea on the 4 way. Didn't know if you are on trailer or in water. If on trailer, would be an easier task. Not sure it would be effective while on water as the fuel moves around and so will the cap seal. I have noticed the slightest movement on the boat moves the debris in the bottom more than one would think.
My large tank was 1/2 full and I was still able to see through the fuel to bottom as alum. tank metal is quite bright inside and I was able to siphon out some of the debris on my first cleanout after I got boat. However, I now find it is back again due to the fuel stations are not filtering like they should. Here is proof of that.

Attachments

• Fuel Filter Debris.JPG
    Fuel Filter Debris.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,597

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Dennis, assume you mean does the tank have both tubes? In my case, each tank double dips....assuming due to twin motors. Pic to show the typical layout:

Attachments

• Tank Fittings.JPG
    Tank Fittings.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 3,580

GulfSea

Reaction score
Just to understand exactly what it's doing, I would probably take another cap from another bottle exactly the same and drop it in a small gas can where it can be observed. Then you'll know if its floating, sinking and/or deteriorating in the tank to know how to retrieve it if necessary.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GulfSea said:
Just to understand exactly what it's doing, I would probably take another cap from another bottle exactly the same and drop it in a small gas can where it can be observed. Then you'll know if its floating, sinking and/or deteriorating in the tank to know how to retrieve it if necessary.

Yes, that is a good thought and I did put one in glass jar full of gas - it definitely sinks. I'll see how it is in spring. I'm not on a trailer, but will be on jack stands and can jack the front up. Also, I will ask the guy running the hydraulic trailer that hauls me to keep the front up until the last minute when he puts me down on the blocks and stands.

Tomorrow I go out tuna wishing in a buddies Marlin. It's nice to go out on someone else's boat once in a while and relax... :wink: