Bottom blasted finally

Jody

Reaction score
After trying to get the blaster there for 3 months it got done yesterday. Got to say I was expecting worse it's a 1989 228 that had unteen coats of paint on it. One spot needs glass work where it looks like someone did a quick patch job but the rest could probably be smoothed out with barrier coat. I'm going to fill anything that is needed and put on 3 to 4 coats of barrier coat then 2 coats of bottom paint. Any tips would be appreciated. First time I took a bottom down to gel coat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If you don't mind sharing, how much $ per foot?

Jody

Reaction score
Still didn't find out yet, me and the Marina owner have been bartering for a couple of years that's how I got the boat. I do directional drilling and put water and electric around the property. I'll find out what it goes for and let you know. I was going to do it myself but he talked me out of it. He said easy to go too deep if you're not used to doing boats.

Jody

Reaction score
Marina Charged $31’ customer $37’ up to a 30’ boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
seems fair for all the prep and the work itself.

Jody

Reaction score
Agree, very happy I had it done. All the glass work is done, waiting for a couple of nice days to do the epoxy coats and bottom paint. Wife and kids are going to swim a little now when we hit the island no more beaching after all this work. Lol

seasick

Reaction score
It is important to follow the paint instructions. Last time I barrier coated the manufacturer called for 4 coats with a specific time window between coats and the time depended on the air temperature. Back then timing was critical and most importantly there was a specific time window between the last barrier coat and the first anti-fouling coat.If you wait too long, the bottom paint won't adhere correctly. I remember reading somewhere that the Interprotect 2000 that I used was reformulated and may be more forgiving on the timing. Just follow the instructions. By the way, the four coats took three days when you figured in the wait times.

seasick

Reaction score
Regarding the patching: If the damage is not too deep and you don't care what the patch looks like since it will be painted, MarineTex is a relatively easy material to apply.

Jody

Reaction score
One spot had to be ground out and glassed the rest easy. I got the three gallon kit so looks like five coats. Read specs today 70* 3 hours minimum same for anti foul. So looks like a three day process. Two the first two the second then last and first coat of paint. As we all know there's plenty of things to do between coats. Still have one fuel fill hose to pull and patch the hole I had to cut to run the front tanks hose. Drum and shark are coming got to get my ass in gear.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jody, did you watch the blast being done? Just wondered what kind of material they used to blast the hull. Have a friend who is considering it and we may have to do it ourselves. I have a large compressor and tank. Just seeing if it is doable. Thanks, trapper

Jody

Reaction score
Didn't watch but he soda blasted it. I have access to a blaster also and was talked out of doing it myself. I was told it's easy to go too deep. Kinda wish I did do it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
seasick said:
Regarding the patching: If the damage is not too deep and you don't care what the patch looks like since it will be painted, MarineTex is a relatively easy material to apply.
Look into this. I was told years ago not to use this below the waterline for some reason (that I cannot recall).