Bottom Paint for Trim Tabs - Question

83Trophy

Reaction score
So each year I spray my Lenco Stainless Trim Tabs with that high dollar spray bottom paint...and by season end each year my tabs are covered in barnacles. I also use it on my transom mount transducer and have the same problem.

Any suggestions for an alternative? Regular bottom paint, anything else that works? All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Bob

antaris

Reaction score
My Bennetts are painted along with the rest of the hull. Bennett states in their instructions that you may even paint the plastic drum with normal antifouling.... not sure about the Lenco's, but I would not think different...

Just keep in mind that you'll need a different primer (metal primer) and do not paint your anode zincs - if there are any zincs on your tabs, that is.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Regular bottom paint on stainless, for the the ff transducer - check with the manufacturer.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ants right about the primer, without the right primer in place regular bottom paint will just blow right off.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Find a boat yard that does bottom painting, make a deal to buy a pint of left over primer and paint. The price may more than 1/8th the cost of a gallon, but you won't have 7 pints left over ... :wink:

saltypup

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Propspeed, very pricey but after two years i pulled the boat and pretty much nothing growing there, and what was there brushed right off and they look as if they were just painted. I do reach under and give them a brush every couple of months though.