Bottom Paint Question

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Do you guys do a full bottom paint coat every year - I have always done a complete repaint every year, I was inspecting mine yesterday and there a a couple of small spots that need touch up but overall it looks like it was just painted - not sure if the active ingredients in the paint continue to function after a winter out of the water - Trying to prevent to big a build up of bottom paint but I do not want to end up with a build up of growth by mid summer - thanks for any tips

reelserious

Reaction score
I usually get two seasons out of the paint. I did a full repaint last year. This year will just be a touch-up to a few spots and its good to go. I used to repaint every year but 6 or 7 years ago realized that it really wasn't necessary. Have never had a problem with the bottom.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
If you use an ablative paint such as water base Hydro-Coat you will get at least 2 to 3 years out of it. Being an ablative coating the paint erodes slowly while the boat is under way to expose the active agents in the paint and over the course of a couple years it wears away thus eliminating heavy build up. Many non ablative paints must be painted on each year within a specified time before launching and is no good at preventing marine growth the next season if the paint is out of water for any length of time. There are many ablative paints on the market but I prefer the water based paints as there is mush less clean up, less smell, and it works very well in my area. My boat is a 95 272 and I have never had to remove the old bottom paint and there is very little build up.

seasick

Reaction score
You should refer to the paint manufacturer information. Several paints are multi-season and need some touch up. Some paints need re-activation after winter layup out of the water. Last season that meant a light scrub with a medium ScotchBrite pad. Some paints just need a light power wash to reactivate and some don't need anything at all. Usually in the real world, you will have a scum line on the water line and you may need to lightly sand and repaint that area. I always repaint my transom and waterline since that seem to get the most wear ( well except where those crab pot floats hit the hull:))

cobrapowersys

Reaction score
I was told by interlux that if you use their micron paint, and the paint is there you are good. If it wears away just retouch.

seasick

Reaction score
cobrapowersys said:
I was told by interlux that if you use their micron paint, and the paint is there you are good. If it wears away just retouch.
It depends on which Interlux used. For the type I used, the light scrubbing with the scotchbrite pad was recommended. I don't know if it makes a difference, I just followed the guidelines and the paint worked well. If you are retouching, you really have to scrub a bit or light sand in my area to remove the surface scum. Even with power washing after boat haul, some slime remains. You have to go east with that power wask too since it is possible to remove a lot of the ablative.

Off doody

Reaction score
It depends on where you keep the boat and product used but I would say at least two years. I have used Interlux Micron CSC on my boat for several years and have been able to get at 2-3 years out of the paint. Last year I touched up the paint before it went in the water in May and the boat came out with a clean bottom in October. It's pricey but it works very well.

seasick

Reaction score
Off doody said:
It depends on where you keep the boat and product used but I would say at least two years. I have used Interlux Micron CSC on my boat for several years and have been able to get at 2-3 years out of the paint. Last year I touched up the paint before it went in the water in May and the boat came out with a clean bottom in October. It's pricey but it works very well.

I also did 2 - 2 season stints using CSC. On the second season, I would scrub, sand any chipped spots (there are always a few) and touch up those spots, repaint the water lines and chines and paint one coat just to use up the paint remaining from the previous season. The CSC worked very well for me and it was with much trepidation that this year I switched to Petit Hydrocoat water based paint. It was a little more challenging to apply. It has to be stirred frequently and thoroughly. It dries quickly and the roller doesn't seem to hold as much paint as the CSC did. The Petit looks good but it doesn't cover chips as well as CSC did, so feathering with sandpaper is needed. I applied two coats to the bottom and three to the waterline and transom. I will see how it works out.
The really big advantage is that you can clean up with soap and water as long as your roller and brushes don't dry. I was able to use the same roller for the second coat a day later. It doesn't smell bad at all either.

I expect that in the near future, my state will join the list of states banning copper paints and then I will need to find another product.

Waters91

Reaction score
Ooooh, mine is really gross! I think I should do this bottom paint cuz it's been several years now since I've painted it! Shame on me
Thanks for reminding :)