Bottom Paint Removal from trim tabs and actuators

Zebco33

Reaction score
Got some copper based ablative paint on my tabs and actuators I want to remove. I just bought the 226 boat - the previous owner had the boat professionally bottom painted once, then just slapped on the paint when it started to come off. The paint seems to be just falling off the tabs soince it is now dry stacked - but I keep it at a dock for a week at a time ever once in a while, so would like to get some paint back on it when I clean it. I'd liked to go with some of that Tin based paint on the tabs -from what I hear that is the way to go. Lessons learned, coments and recommndations needed - thank you

94 226

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes you would want to stay away from copper based paints, they will cause galvanic action which is never a good thing. I'd pm Jimmy from Jimmy's Marine, he is a forum member and has had extensive experience with paint issues. He can tell you what he recommends and does not, he's a good guy to ask when it comes to this stuff.

gerrys

Reaction score
Clean it. Then use Interlux 353 Vinyl Lux, dry for 1 hour, then 2000E epoxy dry for 8 hours, then Micron Extra with Biolux. Best protection you can get and can stand to be in and out of water without deterioration.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To add -

Interlux Micron (copper based ablative) is:

ENTIRELY ACCEPTABLE TO USE ON UNDERWATER METALS EXCEPT ALUMINUM (I guess that means stainless is ok (??)

metals of Bennett tabs and associated hardware are 100 % STAINLESS.

AS WELL AS PLASTICS, did I mention.

Metals are to be primed properly first.

My experience with Micron Extra (has Biolux always) easy to mix and apply both with roller & brush. No thinners/brush ease, etc needed (I work in 70's and below, not in direct sunlight)

No not get paint on zincs or engines.

Go right onto tabs and thru hulls, FF sensors. Have fun.

Did I mention I'm a non-professional on this site, no association with Interlux nor any paint business, receive no fees, commissions, etc.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you still want to use a product of the type you seek, like Trilux 33, it's OK too. I use it on the engines brackets, gear case nose cone, drive.

My expereince with Trilux 33 vs. Micron Extra, - it sucks, in every way I can think of.

I use it, when I have no other choice. only, both in spray and liquid.