Bottom Paint removal & re-coating??

grady23

Reaction score
Need or at least interested in finding a coating to replace the bottom paint with some coating like Gelcoat or even some type of plastic coating. I heard there may be a process that involves a plastic type coating that last for many years.

seasick

Reaction score
grady23 said:
Need or at least interested in finding a coating to replace the bottom paint with some coating like Gelcoat or even some type of plastic coating. I heard there may be a process that involves a plastic type coating that last for many years.
If you plan on keeping the boat in the water, you will need bottom paint. There is no magical coating that will resist barnacles and growth. Of course, depending on what waters the boat is in, the temperature of the water and how long it is in the water, you might be able to get away without anti-fouling paint. We have some folks who will leave their boat in the water for several days (usually a weekend) then pull it and wash the hull. We are in a high marine growth area
With regard to removing the old paint and recoating the hull, that is a big job but depending on the condition of the hull, can be done. One might go through the process when their boat goes from water dockage to dry storage (hauled, lift, etc)
One thing to keep in mind is that often the bottom paint may hide hull flaws and damage. For example, gouges and chips or blisters may have been patched but not color matched since bottom paint was going to be applied.
Personally, if I had a hull that was bottom painted with antifouling and I was now going to haul it between uses, I wouldn't go through the effort of trying to remove the paint. Even if the old paint was in bad shape, I would sand, patch as needed and repaint.
Just my 2 cents

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just putting it out there... Don't know how well it works or if it works at all... Couple thousand... $$$
No more painting though... :hmm

http://www.pyiinc.com/sonihull/sonihull_category.html

Sonihull-Mono-category.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
What 'process that involves plastic' is this that you're talking about? Where did you hear about it or do you have some links? The only 'plastic' that I can think of is doing an epoxy-based barrier coat. But that will not look pretty, nor stop marine growth.

Sure - the hull can sanded smooth, imperfections fixed, then new gelcoat sprayed on... but that will be very costly - thousands of dollars... easily. But that's only if the boat will be a trailer or lift-stored queen.