Bottom Paint Removal?

noXcuse

Reaction score
I bought a 228 Seafarer a few weeks ago. The anti-fouling paint that's on it is pretty ugly. Since I plan on keeping the boat on a trailer, I want the bottom paint off. Is there a safe way of removing it without damaging the gelcoat? I've seen the brush on gel, but I've heard that it can damage the gelcoat. I've also hear blasting with peanut shells works good, but I doubt my sandblaster can shoot that. I'd like to find a way to do it at home, if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

gradydriver

Reaction score
I have a guy that uses baking soda.....SodaBlast that thing.....works great.

richie rich

Reaction score
I had mine sand blasted years ago....the guy new exactly what was doing and took the years of paint off and leaving a good finish for some prep and bottom coating. But if you want a shiney gelcoat finish, theres not much in terms of blasting that will leave a shiney gel coat...you will have to sand with multiple steps and then polish to a gloss.....you may need to go by the way of Peel Away and take it off carefully. Some use Easy off, but try small areas first.....have you tried power washing?

mboyatt

Reaction score
I want to remove mine as well. I trailer the boat, so I don't need the bottom paint. Looks like mine hasn't been done in about 10 years. The black paint is faded and coming off in certain areas. Do you really think power washing will work? I have a commercial power washer. Never thought this would work. I have heard soda blasting works great, but that comes at a hefty cost.

noXcuse

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. My sandblaster is a pressurized tank, just like all the soda blasters I've seen in the interwebs. And I have an 80gal. compressor that keeps up with it just fine. But, if soda is costly, then I might have to pass on that idea. Trying to keep a budget. I don't mind finish sanding and buffing. I have a high speed buffer and 3M compound. That seems to be the trick with heavy oxidized hulls. I've done that on my last 2 boats. I might stick to trying that gel and a scraper. My neighbor has a beastly pressure washer. Maybe I can try that too.Wayne let the gel marinate on there, then pressure wash it off. We'll see what I come up with. Thanks a ton for the tips.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
3M have a product called hull-strip; http://www.scomar.com.au/Products/Consu ... Strip.aspx
I have used this product to strip bottom paint on a 22 footer, worked well , no damage on the gelcoat at all, a lot of work and not cheap either. When I finished any leftover bottom paint I used a hot pressure cleaner , then I buffed it with 3M compound . The finished job was like new.
If the boat was kept in the water for many years and the bottom paint was warn out at any time you may find some blistering on the gelcoat.