Bottom Paint Removal

Fever

Reaction score
Been looking for a Grady White 208 and find many with bottom paint. Personally, I would rather have a white hull. I think it looks cleaner on the trailer and I don't ever slip my boat. Plus, I do not have periodic maintenance for that.

The question is whether the bottom paint is economically removable. I'm sure it depends on how many coats, what formulation, etc. But in general, what is the process for removing bottom paint, and can I expect a clean polished bottom afterwards?

Thanks,

Mike

seasick

Reaction score
Fever said:
Been looking for a Grady White 208 and find many with bottom paint. Personally, I would rather have a white hull. I think it looks cleaner on the trailer and I don't ever slip my boat. Plus, I do not have periodic maintenance for that.

The question is whether the bottom paint is economically removable. I'm sure it depends on how many coats, what formulation, etc. But in general, what is the process for removing bottom paint, and can I expect a clean polished bottom afterwards?

Thanks,

Mike

Bottom paint can be removed and the gelcoat restored if needed but it can be expensive to do. One thing to keep in mind is that there may be damage and repairs made to the hull that are covered by bottom paint. For example, I have repaired small gauges with epoxy or filler that doesn't match the hull color knowing that it will be painted.
Back to removal: Blasting with glass beads, walnut shells, sand, etc are all possibilities. Sand is least desirable but the more important factor is the skill of the blaster. It is easy to cut through the gel coat.

Of course, you can use chemical peels/strippers and sanding. Either way, some restoration of the gel coat will most likely be needed and matching the lower color to the upper hull is a challenge especially for older hulls.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Like Seasick mentioned, it can be done. ANYTHING can be done... given enough time and money. :roll: But if the bottom paint was applied correctly, then the surface was either chemically or physically etched in preparation of the paint. In other words, the gelcoat surface will NOT be clean and shiny underneath. It will be discolored and/or sanded/rough in appearance. And then there's the additional "repairs" that Seasick mentioned - to which I've done the same thing on various boats. That's the nice thing about bottom paint - if you're making a repair, you only need to make it functional - not aesthetically pleasing.

Google for a "soda blasting" company in your area and talk to them about the removal process. Then talk to a local gel repair facility about refinishing the gel. Unless you have the time and skill to do these things yourself, you'd be better off buying a boat (and paying the premium for it) without bottom paint already on it.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I had the bottom of my old 1975 204C soda blasted to remove the bottom paint after I moved from CT to FL and went from a wet slip to a dry stack. Even after sanding the bottom, the surface was still rough. I repainted the bottom with 2 part epoxy topside paint and it was as smooth as fresh gelcoat. I actually picked up 2 mph at WOT. The paint held up very well for 7 years with only a few spots eventually getting scrapped off from the fork lift.