Bottom Paint - Seafarer 226

mashenden

Reaction score
I just bought a '93 Seafarer 226 and repowered it with a new 4 stroke 225 Yammy. The bottom was previously painted with the ablative type paint. I will need to repaint before I launch in the Spring (arrrggg - I still have not taken it for a spin :( Has this been a long winter or what? :) ).

The plan is to go with Interlux Micron 66, which I know requires to be used in salt water. (I am in strong brackish water (Northern Neck of VA).

How much paint does it take to paint a Seafarer 226?

Do you think a gallon will get two coats on her?

Any suggestions on how to get the "Grady color"?

seasick

Reaction score
I have used Micron CSC for three seasons, two seasons on a major repaint with retouch only on the second season. It has worked very well and I probably could go three seasons with just retouch.
For my 20 foot Grady, it takes about 3 quarts to do two coats. The rest of the gallon works out for the retouch in season two.
I alternate bottom colors every two years between blue and black so that I can see worn spots. I am not sure what you mean by the Grady color. If you are looking for the Grady off-white, i don't think you will find it in Interlux.

mashenden

Reaction score
Good info, seasick - thank you.

By "Grady color" I meant a dark blue that I understand to be what the dealers use on GW's for bottom paint. I am not sure if it is a custom blend or just a dark blue. I am leaning toward getting a gallon of blue and a quart of black. That way I can paint one coat of Blue, then a second coat of Blue+ Black to get a color change. Then the following season I should have enough for one more coat if it does not dry up.

seasick

Reaction score
INterlux has a dark blue and a lighter blue. The advantage to the black that I used last year is that doesn't show the scum line as much as lighter colors do. My boat will sometimes sit for two weeks at a time in the water and the scum line is inevitable.