Bottom Paint

DUUUUUG

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2004 209 Escape that is in mint condition and have recently been reading ALOT about GW's.
Does bottom paint lower the value of your boat?

richie rich

Reaction score
only to someone who strictly trailers or lifts their boat and wants a clean hull.....the rest of the folks who keep the boat in salt water will have paint on the bottom as its needed

DUUUUUG

Reaction score
I know that bottom paint is needed if you leave the boat in the water.
I was just wondering about Boat Value because I see a lot of boat adds that say ....."and No Bottom Paint!"

Clockwork

Reaction score
i prefer boats without bottom paint. however, i wouldn't expect to pay less for a boat with it except if it was a crappy job and took away from the asthetics. and i've never really noticed people shunning affected boats.

antaris

Reaction score
Well, you just got yourself a boat - I presume in order to enjoy it. Why worry about resale already, since it's new for you? This boat, like any other boat of that caliber, will cost you money in the long term.... gas, repairs, safety gear and electronics, fishing stuff... the list is endless. And its resale value will slowly drop, just due to its age.

If painted, when you decide to sell you may lose a bit of money - but I'd imagine much less than the amount you'll have spent to enjoy it!

If you want to keep it in the water, do not worry any more and just do a proper job (do not forget the sealing underlayer - not sure what it's called)!!!

Happy and safe boating!

DUUUUUG

Reaction score
Just bought it and looking forward to enjoying it. I am always looking for good feedback, especially on how to take care of fine things.
I have been looking for a GW for while now and finally found the one I wanted at a great price. You're right, buying the boat was the first of many purchases to come. I just want to do the right thing in taking care of it. This i a great web site for that never-ending need for knowledge transfer.
My 8-year old son, walked by the computer as I was looking at a picture of the boat and he said...."She's a beauty"!

Attachments

• Boat Awesome 2.jpg
    Boat Awesome 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,506

Boat Hound

Reaction score
It is 100% a regional thing - there are regions where it will impact value. I bought a 265 last season and my offer was inclusive of fresh bottom paint, which was I am told about $600. In other areas, it seems to be the other way around.

seasick

Reaction score
There is an advantage to a buyer for a vessel without bottom paint. The seller/surveyor has a much better idea of the condition of the hull. It's a lot harder to hide issues without paint. Personally, If I had a choice, I would prefer a boat without paint even though I knew I was going to have to piant it.
Would I pay more? Perhaps..for the piece of mind.