Bottom Paint

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Every year I put a full coat of bottom paint - I was talking to another GW owner in the boat yard Sunday and he said I was crazy to put all that paint on - he says he busy a quart and touches up areas that need a re-coat and this prevents the paint from building up? - Does anyone else just do touch-ups?

reelserious

Reaction score
Last season I didn't even do a touch up. All that needed to be done was the trim tabs. The bottom looked good so I didn't touch it. It actually looked pretty good again this season, but I couldn't get myself to trust getting a 3rd season out of it so I am doing a full paint before launching.

uncljohn

Reaction score
If you're talking ablative paint, then I think the general rule is 1 coat per season, so theoretically if you apply 2 coats of ablative paint, you should be good for 2 seasons of boating. If one insists on only applying 1 coat, then you may end up doing a coat every year, though it depends on the area you're in and the frequency you use the boat.

I did not do my bottom this year but did it the previous year. Still good to go.

seasick

Reaction score
I use Micron CSC and usually paint two coats in the first season and do touch up the second. I probably could go 3 seasons with touch up since even after season 2, the hull rinses nicely with no barnacles.
Several of my friends used water bases paints this year. I will wait after the season to see how those new paints held up and if they do well, will switch next year.

NJ-JOHN

Reaction score
Im fairly new but have come to realize there are different kinds of paints. I used to roll a coat of 'hard' paint on once a year, it chipped and flaked off and performed very poorly. It was suggested that I strip it down and apply a paint system, which I have done. Im currently using Micron CSC, over 2000E barrier. Someone may be able to give a better explaination of the differences.

seasick

Reaction score
NJ-JOHN said:
Im fairly new but have come to realize there are different kinds of paints. I used to roll a coat of 'hard' paint on once a year, it chipped and flaked off and performed very poorly. It was suggested that I strip it down and apply a paint system, which I have done. Im currently using Micron CSC, over 2000E barrier. Someone may be able to give a better explaination of the differences.

Ablative paints work by actually wearing off. As they get used up they also get removed. The up side is that they don't buildup layers like hard paints do.
Hard paints don't wear off for the most part but do lose their ability to protect from growth over time. The down side is that after a few applications, the paint can get pretty thick, heavy and when is flakes or chips The impressions left can add drag ( and look unattractive). The up side to hard paints is that they tend to work better in certain conditions like boats that sit long periods of time in the same spot. Ablative paints need water flow to keep them activated. Some ablative paints 'deactivate' when left out of the water for a period of time.
There are new ablatives that can sit in the water or out for a long time and still work. Micron 66 is one of those.

So what is best for you?
It depends on how you use your boat, where it is stored, the condition and temperature of the water it sails in etc.

For me and my boating, a good ablative works well, is easy to sand off when needed ( although the dust is just about lethal) and doesn't build up over time.

remember is it important to read the instructions for any paint and pay attention to the preparation instructions. In general, ablatives can be painted or hards but hards usually can't be applied over ablatives.
It gets more complicated than. Try to keep a record of the paint brand and version you have applied (or the yard has applied) so that in the future you do the righ hull prep if you change paints