bottom paint

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hello Everyone
1st boat looking for a good bottom paint any recommendations also whats the advantage between copper and copper free

seasick

Reaction score
Copper free anti-fouling is mandated in at least one state. If you are in a state that doesn't ban it's use, I don't think you should go copper free unless you are a serious environmentalist:)
Based on the posts I read, the current non-copper paints haven't worked as well as copper based. I expect that will change over time and some may be better as we speak. In general those products are more expensive, sometimes a lot more expensive. I prefer to see a few seasons of information from folks before I change paints.

First of all, buy a good quality paint. To some extent, the old paint may limit your options on new coats so it helps to know what the hull was painted with.
Follow the instructions!
These days and for the last 3 or 4 years, I have been using a water based ablative paint. In my case that is Pettit Hydrocoat. It works very well, no barnacles at all in a season and for the most part will last two seasons. Some spot touchup may be needed depending on wear.
The really nice thing about this paint and other water based paints I assume is that it doesn't smell too bad and it washes off fairly easily as long as it doesn't dry. You can get it off your skin with soap and water. You can clean and reuse rollers and brushes too.
Recoat times are 1 to 3 hours depending on temperature and humidity. Most importantly, the boat does not have to be launched within a specific time window after painting

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Thanks for your help very informative
Safe boating

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yeah, there's really no such thing as "best" bottom paint. That's kinda like asking about the "best" oil... lot's of opinions.

Now, I do happen to have a lot of experience (my own boats and hundreds that we have done at the shop) with the Hydrocoat ECO (copper free). As noted, it's more expensive but also environmentally friendly. Very happy with the results - on par with the non-ECO version.

seasick

Reaction score
Dennis,
Have you any experience with the newer Pettit products, specifically the primer and the barrier coat?
Also, does the ECO last two seasons?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, the ECO seems to last just as well as the non-ECO stuff. The last full painting I did -- well, actually my younger brother does that job ;) -- was 3 years ago. We just do the typical touch up in the beginning of each season. It still looked mostly decent this season, but we... I mean "he"... rolled on another coat this year.

Very little experience with the barrier coat stuff. I see primarily Sea Rays at work and they don't need it... same as Grady.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Yes, the ECO seems to last just as well as the non-ECO stuff. The last full painting I did -- well, actually my younger brother does that job ;) -- was 3 years ago. We just do the typical touch up in the beginning of each season. It still looked mostly decent this season, but we... I mean "he"... rolled on another coat this year.

Very little experience with the barrier coat stuff. I see primarily Sea Rays at work and they don't need it... same as Grady.
If i only had a baby brother

seasick

Reaction score
At some point in time, I will need to have my hull on the small boat blasted and that may expose and or 'remove' small sections of gel coat. I would think that a primer or better yet a barrier coat would be a good idea. I have applied Interprotect 2000 but it is a pain to do with the re-coat intervals and number of coats.
I was scraping and sanding the loose flaky sections of my hull this past week and I said : This is the last time I am going to do this job, I'm too old for it.
I was also surprised how thick the previous Hydrocoat paint was in spots. It may be ablative but it didn't 'ablate' if that is a word.
I also usually just do touch up on chipped spots and a single coat over the hull with a second coat on the waterline. Maybe I should be waiting longer to re coat, perhaps 3 seasons. I also have been negligent in changing colors every recoat job. That does help see if the paint has worn off.

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Boat bottom paint of Rust Oleum. Mixed the paint thoroughly and use the brush to paint the bottom of the boat. Paint was smooth and applied well. Enough paint to coat the 16" boat twice. Smell is very strong so I suggest wear decent face mask and cover your skins. (if you have a paint suit use it, if not wear long sleeve shirts and a pants.)

Lsquared

Reaction score
Did you have a barrier coat on prior to painting?