Bottom Paint

HalcyonDays

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
New to me Grady 307 with bottom paint. Time to repaint bottom and I am curious what others are using. The paint on the bottom now is Interlux Primocon primer and Interlux Trilux 33 bottom paint. From what I have discovered this paint is primarily for aluminum boats. The boat does have trim tabs and a bow thruster. Should I keep using this product? When I pulled the boat last fall the trim tabs and the bow thruster were covered with barnacles.

Reactions: Legend

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Not sure if the previous owner was local to you but it may be a good idea to ask fellow boaters what works in your neck of the woods. I have been using Hydorcoat since it came out and it works great for me in New England waterrs . It goes on easy and does not build up on my boat's bottom.

HalcyonDays

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Previous owner used boat on north shore Mass, I am in southern Maine. I will check with local marina where I have boat serviced. Thank you for the reply.

seasick

Reaction score
I have used Hydrocoat for many years. My boats operate in the NJ/NJ areas.
It works very well at keeping growth down on the hull. Recently my boats have not seen a lot of sea time and the hulls hauled out pretty clean. In a few spots where the paint chipped down to the primer, a few barnacles were hanging out.
The hull gets a good amount of slime but it scrubs off easily with a power washer. I use different products for the motor bracket. My SS trim tabs are primed with I don't know what and are touched up with the hydrocoat and have been for many seasons. No issues there.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
New to me Grady 307 with bottom paint. Time to repaint bottom and I am curious what others are using. The paint on the bottom now is Interlux Primocon primer and Interlux Trilux 33 bottom paint. From what I have discovered this paint is primarily for aluminum boats. The boat does have trim tabs and a bow thruster. Should I keep using this product? When I pulled the boat last fall the trim tabs and the bow thruster were covered with barnacles.
very unusual. The hair on my neck is up. It makes me wonder...
Are you sure the hull bottom was painted with Primocon & Trilux33? Who did that? Trilux is $350/gallon

Primocon is an underwater metal primer.
Trilux is often used (usually as a spray) on outdrives/outboards/trim tabs. It has no copper so it is good for aluminum.
Nobody puts that on fiberglass hulls. Most people use copper paints.

Be careful what you put over it and how...
Heres a chart from Interlux.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 5.29.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. I'd make sure that info from the previous owner is correct. Might want to investigate removing it before putting something over it.