Bottom Painting Question

Motivator

Reaction score
I have what I would consider a dumb question regarding bottom painting...As I consider painting the bottom, I am wondering is there anything special done to the thru hulls for the livewell, raw water wash down and head when bottom painting? Will there be growth in the hoses/sea cocks?

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I boat on Long Island NY and have no major growth issues. I do not paint my strainers. I just tape them off and paint around them. I have no problems during the season at all. I guess is depends on where you boat and how bad the growth is.

seasick

Reaction score
I can tell you that if you have chrome fittings, don't get paint on them. I pianted two chrome thru hulls and the chrome peeled off. I guess the chrome doesn't like the copper.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, do not paint any fittings period, the paint chemicals will eat away at the finish, and if plastic they can break down the plastic as some of the chemicals are absorbed into the pores of the plastic before curing. Many fittings are known to pit if painted with antifouling paint. These fittings have a coating to protect them and should not hold growth, if they do, it is typically because the boat sits for extended periods of time, I'm talking over a month with no use, usually it will wipe off with a simple rag as long as the groth is wet, but it is unlikely to have groth on them if they are not pitting or breaking down. As for hoses, no growth inside them, the algae needs sunlight to live and will not grow inside where it is dark so no problems there.