Bought My first Grady White today !

Steelhead

Reaction score
I rode in a friends Grady White years ago and couldn't believe how well it cut through 4-5 foot chop , I knew some day I would get one for myself ! I purchased a 1995 Islander 268 today , this boat spent almost it's whole life on a fresh water lake. The boat has the single Mercury 225 that it came with originally. My question is this engine worth keeping ? I wanted twins but couldn't pass this boat up , fresh water use and very solid no rot or structural issues . I was thinking of selling this engine and putting the money towards a set of Yamaha 200 ox66 engines ? The other option would be to find a mate to this engine , and run 2 of these ? ( not concerned about being 50 hp over max ) I want to keep the weight down as much as possible so 4 strokes are out and not in my budget anyway . Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated , Thank you having a great Forum ! ( This boat will be used for offshore fishing )

Reactions: RussGW270

Steelhead

Reaction score
Single 350 is the way to go, less hassle to set up.
I'm not sure that's in my budget ? I see a ton of blown up Yamaha 350 engines online , the local for sale classifieds ? Thank you !

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Keep in mind that shorter motors are needed when twins are used. Therefore, you could not just add one more motor like the one that you have.

Also, there are a few people on this forum that have put twin 150s on that hull and have loved the results.

Steelhead

Reaction score
Keep in mind that shorter motors are needed when twins are used. Therefore, you could not just add one more motor like the one that you have.

Also, there are a few people on this forum that have put twin 150s on that hull and have loved the results.
This 225 that's on the boat now has an extension on it , you can remove it to make the leg shorter. Right now it's set up as a 30 inch . I am thinking at least twin 200 hp engines ? see what comes along .

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
All personal preference. I'd say, first off.. Congo Rats!.. heh.. then, just drive it around. Get used to it. If it runs, get a feel for it. When you get to know it as it is, then you can decide how you want to go with changing it. I am sure there will be a ton of things you will want to do with it, to make it your own. Get those out of the way. Make sure you have everything the way you want and then plan out the new engines, if that is how you want to go.

In all honesty... don't take this part too fast... enjoy the fun of planning it... lol.. the buying takes the wind out of that fast :p

Maybe you want 4-strokes? Maybe you want 150's, like mentioned above, or 200 Zukes...that would be amazing.Maybe you will want new electronics, new guages etc... that you might want to integrate with the new(er) engines.

That boat will "talk to you" as you run it around. Give it a little time. The world is your oyster and you have time to swap it all out after you figure out what you want to use it for and what it might work well with.

Above all, you simply cannot buy a boat and not post photos.. so get your priorities straight!.. lol ;)

Looking forward to your adventures!

R