Bow access ladder from trailer?

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Any ideas on adding a step or ladder to access a 23' GW Gulfstream from bow on trailer for launching solo? When I launch my 20' Adventure I have a small platform on trailer to step up from. Not sure it will work with new boat with bow pulpit.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Google:

Pontoon trailer manufacturers - such as ShoreLand'r, for example. Look at what they use on those trailers - would that work for you?

"Boat trailer steps". Lot's of aftermarket companies.

How limber are you? I climb up and down on various types of boats (larger ones, still, than a 23-footer) using 'built in' steps such as the top of the jack stand and the winch stand. Having rails up there, like the Gulfstream, makes it even easier as it's a nice handhold.

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for the ideas. I'll be looking into them. I am not all that limber, but I climb over the bow of my 20' Adventure from a platfom that was on the trailer when I got it. May end up doing the same thing but I'm concerned of the bow pulpit on the new boat hitting the 'platform' when loading boat. Will just have to work out the heights. Take care. Len

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As long as you keep the platform below the top of the winch stand and forward of the winch post, there won't be any problems. Most likely, the further forward of the winch post you go, the higher the platform could be. But I would think that the height of the winch stand top should be sufficient? Or, I bet you could build the steps/platform off to the SIDE of the winch stand - which allow the top step to be higher. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why it couldn't be to the side?

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
After reading your first suggestion, I googled pontoon trailer ladder and eventually got to Quality Mark's bow step. Cool idea, and gave me a good start on making my own if I decide to go that route. I appreciate your description for where to mount. Thanks.
Len
https://www.qualitymarkinc.com/bow-step

Fishtales

Reaction score
The ones I have seen are not all that great. Someone must make a decent one by now (I hope..). I tried a rope ladder with plastic steps years ago. It really didn't work well. Spun around, was unstable and generally non-supportive when you needed it to be. If the boat has a bow rail, this is another thing you have to learn to deal with. I didn't trailer much, but found the best was to have 2 competent people. One in the boat at launch and one driving and releasing the boat and then parking the trailer. Always better to have 2-3 people anyway.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
After reading your first suggestion, I googled pontoon trailer ladder and eventually got to Quality Mark's bow step. Cool idea, and gave me a good start on making my own if I decide to go that route. I appreciate your description for where to mount. Thanks.
Len
https://www.qualitymarkinc.com/bow-step
That's an interesting one - I've seen some good ones, but had never seen that one, yet. The 4-step will get you 30" above the trailer - is that enough, though?

Another idea... if you built the 'platform' at the height/location you wanted (using the winch stand as the securement location, you could use a telescoping ladder. This is a3-step, but they are available in 4-step, as well. http://www.marinepartdepot.com/stst...MI_ob46_ep4QIVAaeGCh0XjwE2EAQYAiABEgJPKfD_BwE

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If it were me...I would take a wheelchair lift...extend the boom...have it crane me up and drop me on the boat...lol...

Yes, I was joking...but some of you went, “That might work....”

Lol

R

Greyduk

Reaction score
Here is one made by Magic Tilt Trailers. Click to enlarge.Trailer Ladder.jpg

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
This works for me. I stand on the platform, grab the bow cleats and pull myself putting one foot on the winch post step.

Attachments

• IMG_20181231_132927224.jpg
    IMG_20181231_132927224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: coldpizza

coldpizza

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Any ideas on adding a step or ladder to access a 23' GW Gulfstream from bow on trailer for launching solo? When I launch my 20' Adventure I have a small platform on trailer to step up from. Not sure it will work with new boat with bow pulpit.
This is what I ended up with. It is attached to the trailer tongue. It works great; but is a bit pricey, especially do to the shipping. I contacted the manufacturer in Australia and decided to go for it. The only thing I would do differently would be the longer version (I have the 5ft and the 6ft).

Attachments

• CactusLadder700.jpg
    CactusLadder700.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Ladder-Line-drawing-142x300.jpg
    Ladder-Line-drawing-142x300.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 14

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’d like to see what you were using with your Adventure 20.
I’ve got an Overnighter 20 and I’m not comfortable climbing over the bow onto the bow support post.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Old post, but I'll play.
This popped into my head, as a quick and easy solution, or at least a possibility. You can get this stuff in Lowes or HD, in the electrical conduit aisle, square instead of flat, like this piece. Cut some 14--16 inch pieces, and attach to the winch post with square U-bolts. Put the flat side to the winch post, and size the U-bolts so that they, and the nuts, are all inside the channel, to avoid catching your pants leg.

Attachments

• D52E79B9-7B5E-4F7E-9A4B-864B919FDAAB.jpeg
    D52E79B9-7B5E-4F7E-9A4B-864B919FDAAB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

I can tell you from experience, the more solid your ladder is, such as pieces of 3 inch angle iron welded to your winch post, the more it will hurt when, not if, you stand up and catch it with some part of your head. If you are building something, try to incorporate some sort of padding on the ends, even if it’s just tennis balls.
For us older guys, who can’t risk falling, it is just as important to think about what can go wrong when creating your design(like hanging on to something on the bow, reaching down with your foot trying to find a foothold, and tripping the release dog on a winch under tension ), as it is what can go right.

Last edited: