Bow Lifting Eye Relocation?

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
This is my first Grady and first "Bigger" boat (250 Dolphin). I'm installing a Lewmar Profish 700 windlass and the bow lifting eye is directly in the spot where I plan to mount the windlass. I trailer the boat to the slip where it lives all season then trailer it back to where she'll live for the winter. I can't envision a situation where I'd need to lift the boat. I've seen other similar boats with the windlass mounted at the end of the bow pulpit and I'm assuming they've deleted or relocated the lifting eye. Another question...Is it acceptable to mount a cleat with a backing plate on either side of the pulpit to tie off the anchor? I've attached a photo for reference. The wire for the spotlight has already been re-routed.bow.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The boat can lifted using the actual bow "eye"... the one you connect the trailer winch strap to. So, yes, do what you want with the lifting cleat.

You could just relocate that cleat a few inches port or stbd with a backer plate. Just enough that it's out of the way of the rode. You don't really need two cleats there.

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
A deck mounted cleat with a backing plate will be sufficient for the anchor?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, absolutely. Most all cleats are deck mounted. The "tie" between the cleat the bow eye is not about how much holding power the cleat has for anchoring (or docking)... the "tie" is simply there to make lifting the boat a bit easier.

seasick

Reaction score
Shouldn't the windlass be mounted farther aft, over the rode locker? Are you getting a vertical or horizontal model?

TVillani

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
The Profish 700 is horizontal and calls for at least 12" of fall in the anchor locker which I have if I mount it to the rear of the pulpit. I would rather not mount it over the hatch.

seasick

Reaction score
I found the following picture. You can see that there is a windlass mounted on the pulpit base.