Bow mount trolling motor on a fisherman 180

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I want to mount a Bow Mount Garmin Force Krakken to my GW Fisherman 180 (primarily used for fishing the Cesapeake Bay). I am thinking to put the battery in the center console and to install a plug at the bow for the trolling motor. Does anyone have photos of a bow mount trolling motor on a fisherman 180? If no outlet installed, how did you run power? Did you have to move the bow nav light or cleat? Photos and lessons learned would be appreciated. Oh, and what did you use as a backing plate for the trolling motor so the strain wasn't on the fiberglass?

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I was hoping you'd get an answer as I'm contemplating the same thing.

Since the waterline is almost 36" below the bow can I assume you're going with the 75" shaft?

I have a low bow rail that would have to be cut. I was planning on going with a 24V Li battery in the console and run a plug to the unit. But still trying to justify the expense of $5000+.

180 Waterline Dimensions copy.jpgScreen Shot 2024-03-13 at 11.43.56 AM.jpg

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I was hoping you'd get an answer as I'm contemplating the same thing.

Since the waterline is almost 36" below the bow can I assume you're going with the 75" shaft?

I have a low bow rail that would have to be cut. I was planning on going with a 24V Li battery in the console and run a plug to the unit. But still trying to justify the expense of $5000+.

View attachment 32925View attachment 32926
I like that diagram, where did you find d it? I ended up measuring with a tape measure. Yes. I got the 75" shaft, measuring that out is a hell of a lot of cockpit lost when stowed. I am compensating for that my mounting it on a quick release. For battery I got the Dakota 36v 110ah lithium. I figured go big or or home. But I do need the power as the Chesapeake bay tide gets pretty tough to manage. I haven't figured out how to connect the power yet, or what to use as a backing plate. I mite just get some floor grade plywood and cover it with some fiberglass so I can mold it to the shape I need. I know I am not the first to mount a trolling motor on a grady 180, but I'll be damned if I can find a photo for one. Even called grady customer service but they just blew me off. If you come across some photos let me know. My trolling motor comes in next week so I have till that weekend to figure this all out.

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I see you are using the 36v 60ah dakota. Do you get a full day out of that? Are you using it the ocean, bay, or river? What did you use as a backing board under your trolling motor mount? Do you have any problems with water intrusion on your outlet being in the anchor locker?

lazy grady

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I see you are using the 36v 60ah dakota. Do you get a full day out of that? Are you using it the ocean, bay, or river? What did you use as a backing board under your trolling motor mount? Do you have any problems with water intrusion on your outlet being in the anchor locker?
Never fished for an entire day, Old Dude! Use it in the Pamlico Sound and near shore in ocean. With 3' plus waves, I would question effectiveness on my 24'. I did not do the set up, had it done. I can send you pictures of the parts in that I just took it off one GW moving it to another. You got an 18'? If so the shaft should sit lower in the water than mind. Mind is located on the bow pull pit. Let me know about pictures of parts? Give me email address.

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Never fished for an entire day, Old Dude! Use it in the Pamlico Sound and near shore in ocean. With 3' plus waves, I would question effectiveness on my 24'. I did not do the set up, had it done. I can send you pictures of the parts in that I just took it off one GW moving it to another. You got an 18'? If so the shaft should sit lower in the water than mind. Mind is located on the bow pull pit. Let me know about pictures of parts? Give me email address.
Yes, would like to see the parts. Pokey10198@gmail.com

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
That drawing came direct from GW cust. service.

Can't you store the motor shaft in line with the gunnel so you don't lose cockpit space?

Want to see pics when done.

This guy had some interesting ideas, not a Garmin but still.....

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Maybe, I am going to try. Motor comes in next week. I have the garmin quick release mount not the swivel mount. It also looks like no matter how I mount it, it will conflict with the Bimini cover.

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Thanks to your robalo post, it gave me an idea. I ordered half inch 6061 aluminum plate to be able to mount further out. Will see how it works out.

DMitchell

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Ok, now I have come across a new problem. The 180 is so small that all the voids were filled with spray insulation. Original plan was to mount an outlet in the anchor locker and run the battery cable back to the center console. With the way the bow is constructed, I don't think I will be able to do that (mainly due to the bow storage space). I am thinking I will need to install the outlet on the outside of the anchor locker and run the battery cable along the stbd gunnel. This will be challenging due to the lack of access ports. I would appreciate photos from anyone who has run power from the center console to the bow of a 180 and to know how you managed to fish the cabling through and secure it so it didn't rub against rough glass.

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Easy enough to put in a 4" access port if that helps. Also, maybe follow the bow light wiring back to the console.

As I've been running through how I might do mine, I though I'd put the outlet between the hull and liner on the port side, inside an access port.

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
I am following this as I'd like to install on my 2019 Fisherman 216. I'm particularly interested in what you think of the Garmin trolling motor. I'm thinking of buying the same as I would really like the integration with my Garmin MFD. Installing on the 216 may not be as challenging as the 180 but I think it's going to be a handful. Hope the installation went well!

CharlieFoxtrot

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
I have a Minn Kota Terrova 60" 24V installed on my 180 Sportsman. I bought the boat from my buddy who had it installed professionally. They had to cut the high rail in front of the first post on starboard and in front of the second on the port. The nav light was removed and replaced with a socket for a light post. They put the batteries in the fish box up front. This made for good weight distribution and easy wiring. I didn't like losing the storage so I moved the batteries under the center console. It was pretty easy to fish the wire through the anchor locker down the starboard side and out the lower access port below the fuel filler. Then another sightly harder wire fish from there to the large access hole under the console. A couple things about this setup. I am happy with the 24V in terms of power. I suppose 36V would be nicer but doesn't seem necessary. The 60" shaft also works fine and rarely comes out of the water except in very choppy conditions. The original install had a plug just aft of the motor on the deck where the vent cover is now. I removed the plug because it was always getting wet and as a result often had problems with corrosion. I have a connection in the anchor locker in case I want to remove the motor. Finally, be very wary of the mounting plate you select for your motor. This one is suspect(see below). Sometimes I run with a tether on my motor just in case. I almost never remove my trolling motor so I will probably switch to a thick piece of starboard, aluminum or the like. When I get the chance I would also like to switch to lithium batteries.

I also have a little experience with a 216 Fisherman since this is what my buddy upgraded to. He has a 72" 36V Terrova on his. A 60" is too short. He has the batteries installed under the console where the head would go. 3 batteries takes up way too much room and I would recommend a 36V 50 Amp Hr lithium instead. Get a bomb proof connector rated for 60 A. I almost caught his boat on fire with a 40 A connector. Finally, about the mounting plate. The reason it is so important to get the right one is that my friend lost 2 brand new terrova motors over the side within a week because the wrong mounting plate was used! I guess the lesson here is that "professional" installation doesn't always mean that it's good.

IMG_5068.jpegIMG_5067.jpegIMG_5066.jpegIMG_5065.jpeg

Reactions: AUMike99

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Great first post Charlie, thanks so much for the info. If you don't mind, where do you fish?

If you were starting over would you go for the 72" shaft or would it be too long when stored?

I'm fishing in LI sound and during blackfish season, when this would get the most use, we can be in a 1-2ft chop often. I once fished next to guy whose trolling motor was popping out every 8-10 seconds, really annoying.

Is that a freshwater tank in the console?

CharlieFoxtrot

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 180
Thanks! That boat use to live in southern Maine and fished the Piscatua River mostly. That place apparently has some of the strongest tidal current in the lower 48 and we often fished next to the naval shipyard where there is a ton of traffic. So it can get pretty choppy there and I never wished for a longer motor there.

After I bought the boat from my friend I towed it over 3100 miles to its new home in CA where I mostly fish in the SF Bay Delta Estuary. She gets out the Gate on occasion and I am hoping to go after some bluefin which is a new fishery up here. I am also wanting to do some deep slow pitch jigging for bottom fish and the motor will be key for that. I might want the longer shaft then.

As far as the 72" shaft, I think like many things, it's a tradeoff. If you are in 2' chop all the time you might want it. But one thing about these motors is that that a bit of a pain to retrieve and deploy. I think the Garmins are better in this regard. That extra length gives you some leverage but it also give the weight of the motor leverage too. The trick is a bit like a wresting move. Quickly pull up on the motor and in on fell swoop slam it down into the horizontal position. With the longer shaft you will almost certainly need a stabilizer like in the picture in a prior post. Finally, yes that is a freshwater tank. Think I wouldn't have it if I were ordering new. It adds a bit of weight when full.

rocketguy88

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
All I can say is Grady BETTER start including a trolling motor pre-rig as an option on new models, not just the Coastal Explorer models. Just about everybody these days has a GPS trolling motor. It's a complete game changer.

I have a 236 Fisherman. I had a Rhodan last summer, but just changed to a 90" Garmin Kraken so I can control the TM from my Garmin chartplotter. Rhodan worked great, not a single issue, but I wanted to control the TM from the chartplotter.

AUMike99

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 216
All I can say is Grady BETTER start including a trolling motor pre-rig as an option on new models, not just the Coastal Explorer models. Just about everybody these days has a GPS trolling motor. It's a complete game changer.

I have a 236 Fisherman. I had a Rhodan last summer, but just changed to a 90" Garmin Kraken so I can control the TM from my Garmin chartplotter. Rhodan worked great, not a single issue, but I wanted to control the TM from the chartplotter.
I agree! If you can share installation pics, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm installing a Garmin 75" on my Fisherman 216 today.