Bow Pulpit Repair Project - Crushed Fore-deck Reinforcement

bjflink

Reaction score
When I purchased my new to me 306, the deck under the bow pulpit had been crushed from excessive force on the pulpit via anchoring by the previous owner. I am finally getting around to the repair now that the weather has cooled down a bit. Below are pictures of my progress to date...I hope to be finished within the next week or so. Materials I am using include 1708 fiberglass, West Systems 610 Thickened Epoxy, 1/4" and 1" Thick Bluewater 26 Coosa.

So far I have done the following:
1) Remove Pulpit (not easy - difficult to access forward bolts and extremely heavy)
2) Cut out compromised portion of fore-deck (turns out the deck failed b/c of lack of coring per the fault of Grady White)
3) Assess damage and re-core removed portion of deck
4) Add new structural support brace in bow for deck cap to rest on

What I have left to do:
-Add more structural support braces (creating a grid support system, bonded to hull with West Systems 610, then encapsulate with 1708 mat)
-Replace deck cap
-Gelcoat, sand/fare, and buff
-Put pulpit back on

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT, CRITICIZE, MAKE SUGGESTIONS, ASK QUESTIONS, ETC.

seasick

Reaction score
Re: Bow Pulpit Repair Project - Crushed Fore-deck Reinforcem

Is that rum in the glass with the ice?
What is the ratio of rum to epoxy?

bjflink

Reaction score

Close...its a whiskey epoxy blend. Required for optimal working conditions.

gw204

Reaction score

How are you gonna tie that part in to the existing structure? Seems to me that by not staggering the seams of your and bottom and top laminates and scarfing the core the joint won't be strong enough to withstand the forces that are going to be placed on it.

bjflink

Reaction score

Hi Brian,

I actually have two separate layers of 1/4" coosa with glass between each layer on the rebuilt part. The seams are staggered slightly between the two different layers of coosa.

To help distribute the force, I have added the cross brace (1" coosa) and bonded it to the contour of the hull at the bow. The new part (bow deck cap) will actually rest on this "strut", and will be adhered to it with thickened epoxy. I am going to add a couple of fore/aft braces as well that will tie my lateral brace to the existing deck structure. I am envisioning something that will be far and away stronger than the original layup.