Bow Pulpit Upgrade

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
ROBERTH, Beautiful work! Perhaps a small piece of stainless steel angle approximately one inch wide (kept narrow doesn't need to be bent) at the point of contact would relieve the area contacted by the anchor. Could be mounted with countersunk flat head screws and then high polished to sort of look like it belongs.

In any case, I'm impressed and will do something similar to my Escape in the future! Well done.
Thanks Kacey, welcome!

ozona19

Reaction score
Website
jeffssharkbite.com
Model
Offshore
Outstanding work. Looks great. I have to remove mine and rebuild also. Thanks for the info on how to get it off. Now all I need is a skinny friend.

steveditt

Reaction score
Exactly the problem I had , I used a soft 1inch x 3/4 inch x 8 inch bar of solder bent in to the pulpit shape ,4200 and four stainless screws , or any soft metal .

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just something to be aware of - for those of you that were suggesting to add a "bumper" to the pulpit... If the anchor is already contacting the pulpit, which it is in Robert's case, adding something else there could put more stress onto the pulpit and cause more issues. I think Robert's idea of letting it "wear in" a bit is good - but ultimately, either remounting the roller or preemptively carving out an area and re-painting would be best. Carving something like a half round shape would look good and not affect strength - for example, hold a 6" plate up there (say 1/2" into the pulpit) and trace it. I guess that's not the best explanation, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, thought worth an update. Problem with the clearance resolved!

After a summer (with very few trips due to weather & covid) we found the 22# delta style anchor just does not hook up quickly when fishing in 100' or so depth. After a lot of Youtube videos and forum discussions, I decided to get the Mantus M1 anchor. Hoping it would have better clearance and guess what! It does! Now it is about 3/4" away from touching the bottom of the pulpit. Problem solved!

Now, I need to sand down the crunched V area and repaint that spot and will be good to go. Will try to get some pics of this style anchor on a bow pulpit. Didn't find any out there really that shows how they sit on the rollers and pulpit for this style of pulpit.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to try it out and see how it hooks up!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Never used a Mantus, but have heard good things about them.

Question... the depth of the water won't impact the ability of the anchor to hold. However, I wonder if the Mantus is able to set with less scope and maybe that's the difference that you saw?

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There are some really great videos on Youtube comparing the anchors. Some of them are folks that have lots of weeds that foul anchors ,but those don't apply where we are in NC. However, nearly every test shows the Mantus setting very quickly, almost instantly compared to the Delta. The roll bar also makes sure it rights itself.
All I can say is how frustrated I have been with the Delta when trying to set in 100'. A couple of times even in more shallow it would not set for longer than it should have.
I am hoping this anchor will live up to it's claims.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
It's strange you're having that issue with the Delta - do others in your area with a similar style anchor also have problems? I'm not doubting what you're saying, it's just odd to hear it. I can't remember a time when I DID have a problem with a Delta... same goes for friends and family members with plows. This is also the standard style anchor on Sea Ray's from the factory and I don't recall any issues there, either (Sea Ray forum). At 100', are you sure you have enough scope? At those depths, I know it can be hard to judge - you likely will need at least 300'+ of rode. I'm just mentioning this because you'll still need that scope with the Mantus.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I am not sure what else to say Dennis, just my experience. With 600' of rode, I have plenty and always put out a lot of scope. One of the days I had way more than 300' and it was still not sticking. Took forever to retrieve that much rode with the windlass.
I won't know until some attempts when spring/summer arrives again to see how it works. As mentioned, watch the videos and get some education on it to know the difference. I was surprised and can only hope that what they say/show, I get same results.
I don't really know anyone else in my area since I drive down to the coast 3 hours away and back, so don't know any of the locals to discuss with.
I have seen some similar comments on THT about the Delta's and Mantus, which is why I went in this direction.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Well, you definitely had enough scope to eliminate that variable, Robert! The only other thing would be bottom conditions and for whatever reason, the plow isn't hooking up like it should. I've read enough (and seen some videos) about the Mantus over the years to know it's a good anchor. Hopefully it will work for you in the area you're trying to anchor!

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks Dennis, seems the Mantus and Rocna are the new design type anchors that have really great performance. Was a hard decision which one, but went the Mantus route. Mantus has 2 styles, the Mantus M1, which I picked has the roll bar and the newer Mantus M2 which does not have a roll bar but the new design seems to hook up just as well as the M1. I don't think the M2 would have been a good choice for my pulpit angle.
Fingers are crossed for sure! ;)

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Dennis, fyi...I just found this test by the Salt Strong team and found it to align with the problems what I was having with the Delta. Maybe the softer sand is the culprit...dunno, but maybe this is what I was experiencing at times.

Overall, they gave the Delta style a good rating and was their number 2 anchor. Haven't watch all the videos they did on these tests yet, but guessing they will pick the Bruce as their go to number 1 as that is what he was showing on his boat.

So far, I have not anchored much with the new Mantus, but the 4 times I have so far, it stuck immediately.

I just found this to be very interesting......

Reactions: Ky Grady

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As a follow-up to ROBERTH, the Mantus did well for me also down in the Keys. No issues, self deployed and stuck every time. I'm anchored off Molasses Key in front of 7 Mile Bridge, outgoing tide and SW breeze, boat never moved, single anchor, no stern anchor.

20210510_132233.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hi Robert - thanks for linking that! Yeah, I think anchoring, in general, is not a "hard and fast" type science - there's just too many variables. For example, I can't ever remember having problems with a plow style, even on sandy bottoms, but that doesn't mean someone else won't with a different variable thrown in.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, agree, it is a science....I really like the Delta. Looks good, and design wise, seems it is perfect. I just could not figure out what I was doing wrong.
I recall in the inlet area a few years back in 30' of water anchoring down for cobia fishing. I could not get the anchor to stick quickly. It dragged a bit then grabbed. Must have been doing what they show in the video. Then the tide changed and again, started dragging and before I realized it I was almost into another boat.
Then when offshore in 100'ish, same issue.
So thinking in the inlet, shifting soft sand, but again, they keep it dredged so not sure if there is a layer of soft sand and deeper is the hard sand. But offshore, who knows.....
Seems the Delta has to be able to turn upright before it can dig in from what I can tell in the video. Something needs to catch that point so it can start digging.