Bow Thruster blade missing

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
happened to look at my bow thruster yesterday while waxing my boat (336 Grady Canyon 2008) and noticed what a blade missing from the propeller also noticed what appeared to be a zinc as part of the cap on the thruster. I am going to look through my manuals today and try to identify the manufacturer of the thruster. has anyone replaced the propeller and/or zinc? any info appreciated. Thx

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Bow thruster is almost certainly a Lewmar unless it is aftermarket (Installed after delivery). Yes, there is a zinc which should be changed yearly.. It is a 2 minute job. Put a big screwdriver through the blades near the top of the thruster to keep it from spinning. Unbolt the old zinc and pop on the new one. Lewmar should be able to get you a replacement prop. If you can't find the model number (Check your paperwork or call GW) then measure the diameter of the prop and they can probably tell you which one it is.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thanks very much- will order and extra zinc so I am good to go for this year a and next!

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
my '09 is sidepower. don't know when they started using lewmar. i thought it was only in the 36. good luck, ron.

JJ2468

Reaction score
I have 2006 33 express and mine is for sure a sindpower

I replace the zinc every season. I called them a few years back and instead of the standard 4 blade prop they offered a new 5 blade as well. Going to make up the stats but think was 10% more efficient but like 50-60% quieter. I would very the manufacturer and call them directly.

Good luck

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Do you guys do any other Maintenance on bow thrusters? I have a 2006 330 express and I usually don't give it much thought during season. In fact, I need to change the anode since I haven't done so since purchasing boat 3 years ago.

JJ2468

Reaction score
Just the anode I hope because that's all I do. I did speak in depth with a guy from side power when I first bought the boat. He said most important was not use more than 3-5 seconds then a 3-5 second break. He said the 33 express was the first boat grady ever used a thruster on and he went to factory to show how to install. Seemed extremely knowledgeable

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
got this from Grady for 2008 Canyon
The 2008 336 Canyon uses the Imtra SE60 bow thruster. Here's an attachment with a parts list for this unit and Imtras contact # is 508-995-7000 Terry Quinn. Please take a look and let us know if we can further assist you.

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
took the blade off yesterday- learned a good lesson- I will take it off every year.
I have had the boat two seasons, not sure when zinc had been changed last ( it looked to be in good shape, if the prop blade had not broke, i don't think I would have touched it) . Anyway, the screw holding the zinc wouldn't turn (it was fused to the zinc) had to turn the zinc with vise grips (not easy to do in the tunnel) the whole zinc, screw, and propeller nut came off as one. The propeller nut was also fuzed to the inside zinc. Cut /split the zinc off the prop nut today with dremel and hack saw, nut is in great shape, and good to go. I called Imtra this week, ordered blade (came in 2 days Boston to NY) and ordered 3 zinc's. Imtra said to use bottom paint on prop to keep barnacles down. I plan to remove the prop each year (just like I do on engines) and change zinc each year. DONE!

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are welcome.

I am not done yet. I went down to put new prop on and noticed that a piece of the screw that holds the zinc on, is still stuck in shaft.
Going to call them and see what options I have to replace shaft. I might try drilling it out but since its SS, and is fairly small screw, I think the internal threads might get banged up.

any suggestions on how to drill SS, appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just a thought here, from a different angle... how far into the bolt hole is the piece of SS bolt that broke off? Is it far enough in that there are still plenty of threads left for engaging a new bolt -- if you cut the new bolt a little bit shorter?

beachbum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
thx, the shorter screw is a great idea!