Bow Thruster Help

mattttt25

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
2013 Grady 335 Freedom. Factory rigged bow thruster. Works to port, but nothing when switched to starboard.

I read elsewhere it could the reversing solenoid. Can’t seem to find it. I plan to contact Grady but thought I’d ask here as well.

Any other suggestions on what to look at or what could be causing problem? I should also say that it worked fine last week, and problem started after 250 mile cruise from NY to MD.

Thanks-

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Have you tried facing backwards and tricking the pump? ;) Just kidding. I bet Grady will figure it out easy...

R

mattttt25

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
It seems the solenoid is mounted directly on the motor. Side-Power has a great troubleshooting guide on their website. Unfortunately, I'll need to cut caulk and remove a deck panel to gain any sort of access.

Fishtales

Reaction score
X2 on the guide. I used it when mine quit. Ended up being the solenoid. It was right under the black plastic cap. It is a fairly large unit with several bolt on connectors and push connectors. Easy swap.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Check the model of the bow thruster and pull up on web. Reversing solenoids are mounted on the unit.
The drive motors are DC motors that are port/starboard powered by reversing battery connection.
The reversing solenoid does all this magic. There are two terminals on the reversing solenoid and your thruster
switch applies +12 volts to one or the other. Since thrust to one side works it could be your switch, the wires at either end or the solenoid.
Simple enough to test with a volt meter.

Last edited:

mattttt25

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Thanks. Unfortunately, my thruster is Ignition Protected and the solenoid/controller is within the sealed housing. I've decided to remove the motor assembly and let Side-Power repair, re-certify, and give me a new warranty.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Letting them do it is a good idea. My point is that it could be the control switch or the connector. Easy to check before pulling the motor.

mattttt25

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
I did eliminate the joystick by disconnecting and jumping between red (hot) and blue/grey. It had the same symptom of running in one direction but not the other.

Unit was removed and shipped to Imtra Corp today.