Bow Thruster Question

eangler

Reaction score
I am considering installing a bow thruster on my 1990 Marlin while she is in the shop for core repairs. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what brand and model is being installed in the current Marlin.

Also if anyone has insights into reliability for this or other brands I would welcome the input.

Thanks very much.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 05 has a Side Power Thruster that was installed at the factory. I had an issue with it last year when water compromised the unit which needed to be replaced.Nobodys fault except for the guy who installed it at the factory. Other then that its a great option to have.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

eangler

Reaction score
Thanks GMan. Any chance you know what model you have and/or how much thrust your unit puts out?

redrover

Reaction score
Not sure on the model but We've got one on our 07 305 and it's a life saver trying to get it in our very tight slip. Gerry, if you can turn on a dime w/out it, imagine turning on a grain of sand w/one.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just had one installed by Florida Bow Thruster. I think they go all over the country, they hit me on the way back from the Regulator plant. The boat is still out of the water so I have not used it yet.

They use the Vetus brand. You can call 1-866-thruster.

I had decided not to put one on the boat because most of the time I don't need it, but then I figured the biggest negative to the boat (a 330 express) is it can be a booger to dock when the wind our current catches the bow. So I put the thruster on for the 10% of times or so when I do need it. Anything to make the boating experience more hassle free.

You can also rationalize it may help with re-sale.

WR

gerrys

Reaction score
Rover:
I know what you're talking about - curtains up with a strong cross wind and current can get pretty dicey.

eangler

Reaction score
I don't "need" one but while she's shorebound and in the hands of a capable glass guy I figured it would be nice to have. Well let me take that back, sometimes I do need it. Occasionally on excursions docking in tight spots with other boats on vacation in slips that are too small with strange currents and winds, it would be good to have. Lets just say if I don't have to yell at my wife to keep someone's anchor out of my topside it will make docking more pleasant.

Besides I have tried over and over again but if I put one engine in forward and the other in reverse nothing happens for a good 10 seconds. That's too long. I have not tried the tilting up trick I've seen mentioned here though.

So is the consensus that side-power is the factory preferred brand?

What sizes are being installed?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
eangler... a great glass guy doesn't necessarily have the "right" tools and experience to properly drill that huge hole through both sides of your bow. If yours doesn't I would also recommend Florida Bow Thrusters as mentioned above. They put one in my buddies Grady and did a class A job. They travel all over and will do the work right at your marina or where ever your boat may be stored.

Also, when you choose one make sure you select one that is more than adequate. You don't want to find out when the wind is blowing that the thruster is inadequate. A little overkill is better than meeting the minimum requirement.

eangler... just noticed you are in Milford Ct.... that's where my boat is and also the one FBT worked on. I'm at Milford Boat Works.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking also for my 306 bimini, and flirida thrusters were the cheapest guys around, quicker, and very good work(saw my cousins boat).I never did mine cause i sold the boat.I have it on the 330 and is a LIFE SAVER, believe me,I have the same problems on my dock, high wrong winds all the time.Go for it.