Bow Thruster Shear pin

melnoelhorn

Reaction score
I'm a new member to the form with a 305 Express. I am going thru shear pins at the motor like they are made out of wood. Never broke a pin at the prop. Help!! What am I doing wrong??

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
you should talk to your dealer about this. however, are you rapidly reversing thrust? thrusters are meant to be used in bursts (at least the electrics) and they should come to neutral before you go in the opposite direction.

Reactions: Meanwhile

melnoelhorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Based on the number of replies, I guess not too many people have Bow Thruster problems.
I think the initial pins I broke were due to quickly reversing the thruster, but I continue to break pins even though I am careful. (The positive is I am very good at changing the broken pin.)
Does replacing the pin with a harder pin make sense??

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've actually been thinking about your problem. first, no, only use the pin that sidepower recommends.

if you are no longer reverse thrusting your way to a broken pin, i would contact your dealer. something could be binding in the gearhousing and that would not be good. i assume you checked to make sure the impeller is free. as i'm typing this another thought came to mind; there are two different pins. the impeller will break faster than the gearhousing. you haven't reversed them by any chance? (and i'm not sure if you could, i don't have them with me now). good luck, ron

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Bow Thruster

Replaced 2 sp's last season. Over the winter, side powers rep company(IMTRA?) replaced my unit with an upgraded, 5 blade foot. Go to sidepower's web site - you can drill down to see pics of broken sp's and the cause. The way they shear often lets you know the casue. I would talk to your dealer and press the issue if necessary.

Good luck and keep us posted

melnoelhorn

Reaction score
IMTRA web site looks to be very helpful. I will start to save my broken pins and will look at them more closely.
My pins always broke in 2 pieces and I thought the pins were slipping out of the shaft. IMTRA's trouble shooting guide suggests a clip or piece of tape to hold it in. Next replacement I will give the tape a try.

How did you contact the dealer rep for IMTRA? A big THANKS for the suggestions.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
I have a 2007 305 with the bow thruster. This spring I sheared the pin on the motor. There are two shear pins, one on the motor shaft and the other on the propellor shaft. They are two different sizes.

Something is obviously amiss if you keep breaking the propellor shear pin. Please let us know the outcome.

Gowiththeflo

Reaction score
Hi Guys , were can get the replacement pins ?
thanks in advance

Fishtales

Reaction score
Interesting... Never broke a pin on the 4 blade. Order some new pins from SP. As stated, wait a few seconds prior to multiple engagements and especially if changing direction. Do you regularly (once a year minimum) change the aluminum anode on the center of the blade? I don't know what goes next if the anode is not effective. I've seen some with a blade missing due to corrosion in the yard from time to time. A missing blade may stress the pin and over time the unit.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
In my case it was a worn shear pin hole, so after I taped in the shear pin, no more breaks. I hope it helps.