Bowmount Flagpole for 204c Overnighter

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
I have a hole which looks factory on the very tip of my bow rail where the 2 sides come together. I'm guess it's for a flagpole. I have an '89 Overnighter. Anyone know which flagpole is supposed to have to fit in that hole? Thanks

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I once looked down at my gps, and just as I looked up, the flag and pole left its bow rail mount headed straight for my face, bounced off the top of the windshield frame, and just missed my head. All in the blink of an eye. I'll never have another one there.

Reactions: Heyspike

seasick

Reaction score
I once looked down at my gps, and just as I looked up, the flag and pole left its bow rail mount headed straight for my face, bounced off the top of the windshield frame, and just missed my head. All in the blink of an eye. I'll never have another one there.

I had the same experience with a short mast(18:) pole and burgee. Fortunately it sailed over my windshield and just brushed my head. It could have been very bad. One way to minimize the danger if you must mount such a device is to add a strong lanyard(wire) to the mast and fastened to the a deck fitting or rail so that should it come loose, it will be held by the tether.
In case you are wondering the pole and flag sailed completely over the deck, past the boat and was 'lost at sea'

CJ7Rob

Reaction score
Wow that sucks, good idea on the tether though. I need it more for wind direction and docking purposes more than for looks, so I figured it was best visible there and out of the way.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I surely agree with the danger of an unrestrained pole and flag on the bow at speed. That said having a flag forward when trying to anchor accurately directly upwind of a bouy so you can drift back on it is invaluable or as CJ7Rob said, a flag makes maneuvering in a marina less stressful knowing just how the wind is going to "set" you. Having the ability to pin the flagpole in its holder would be ideal.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Most that I've seen have a clamp that installs around the rail and tightens down. I like the idea of a wire safety strap. I'm thinking you could use that hole, loop it and run it through the mount into the pole and back down (may have to drill a small hole near the base) then secure under the clamp before torqueing down. Personally I find them a distraction as they are in the line of sight. I have a pole mount that goes in my rocket launcher on the hard top. It drops in one of the tulips. I run a bungee around it to hold in place and run a 2X3 flag. When I fish, I can take it down and stow so I have more room for rods.