Braid Shakedown

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
After the boat shakedown went well, I decided to test out my two new combos that had braid and ended up having my line snap on both. About 15 casts, 2lines snaps and 3 stripers...Details are below...

Setup #1: Spinning Reel 30lb braid tied directly to swivel with no leader. Line snapped as the lure went forward and bail did not flip over. I retrieved the line as it was a SP minnow and was floating. The line snapped inside the knot as I saw the tail end and then not where the line went in. I forgot to cut the tail and that’s why I knew it was the tail and not the line....

Setup #2: Baitcasting Reel with a 2ft leader. Believe this one broke either in the middle or at the leader. Lure was a swim shad and the line never stopped suddenly.

Any idea what is causing this? Is the casting motion different with braid? I loved the sensitivity but 2 line snaps out of10-15 casts isn’t good. I must be doing something wtong

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Penn Sql400LP and Battle II 4000

Albright Special on the leader and Palomar on the swivel.

Power Pro Spectra Braid

I noticed that when pulling the braid through the eyes on the baitcaster, the line was basically stuck on the edges of the spool. I’m not sure if this was the reason or not. I can’t see a 1/2-3/4oz lure (swim shad) causing the line to snap though.

When I use a shock leader, I’m used to the lure coming back at me if the bail accidentally slips. Seems odd that the line snapped the way it did. One rod could have been a flaw with the knot, maybe the line was nicked or something but two different rods makes no sense.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Those knots sound good. I'd take off 10-20 yards and closely inspect the line. The only time I've snapped braid was accidentally kicking the nail over. Even then most times the 150g jig comes back at me.
Good luck, let us know what you determine.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bad run of braid?? Part of the reason I don't use braid for my style of fishing is because it's so hard to break. When I'm hung up, I need my line to break and not spool the reel.

reelserious

Reaction score
Bad run of braid?? Part of the reason I don't use braid for my style of fishing is because it's so hard to break. When I'm hung up, I need my line to break and not spool the reel.
When using braid, especially for bottom-fishing, I always use a leader to the braid that is at least 10 pound test lighter than the braid/mainline just for that reason. If you get caught up you only lose the terminal tackle and not a lot of the braid.

In regard to the OP's post, I would guess bad braid from the factory, a bad rod guide or a bad knot. Your knot choice sounds OK, especially the palomar, so take a closer look at the other two potentials.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well, if memory serves me correctly, the braid was from two different spools, so I don’t think it’s defective. I’ll double check the guides but both poles are brand new.

I ran across this post and #4 was interesting. My line snapped on the cast after back to back stripers were reeled in on the baitcaster. On the spinning reel, it snapped on the cast after I lost a fish.

So I’m wondering if I need to follow the recommendation in #4 and gradually cast farther after each fish landed/ lostin case the braid dug in. Is this something you guys do? Is the advice in this post common knowledge and Im Just a newbie to braid after years on mono??

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Improved Albright tied to leader and Palomar to tactical angler clip. See how this goes.

Left the tag end of the braid a little longer, curious if the knot is coming undone or what.
B410E5F0-192E-4AF0-B831-1BE3DD858D9D.jpegDB3117A1-76FD-408E-A1AD-DB12D0188E99.jpeg

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I doubt that it is coming undone. You could always put a drop of super glue on the knot. I would be concerned that a fish would peck at the long tag end.
How long is your leader? Does that connection stay outside of the tip guide, or does it run through on every cast?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have done that more than I care to admit casting AVA 47s with a conventional reel. If you have a lure tied directly to braid with a Palomar and the outgoing line is snapped to a stop...it WILL often snap the line at the knot.
There is zero stretch in braid. The lure doesn't have enough weight to pull drag so if there is a whiplash effect it snaps. My recommendation..don't do that!:p

The Albrights can snap too with a heavy enough jig. The Albrights have to be right. If they don't pull tight perfectly, cut em off and retie

If you didn't get the line on the spool tight, use a weight and let it out far on a drift or idle speed, then reel in with the tension of the weight to load the line on.

If you break off, you will be reeling in line with zero tension. When you re-tie, you need to get it all spooled under tension before you resume casting.

You never want tight over top of loose...very bad....

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No issues with braid in my last two outings except we didn’t catch anything. I ended up gradually casting out and that seemed to solve the problem but made me feel like an amateur with such short casts in the beginning

Outside of the issues, I’m looking forward to doing some bottom fishing with it. I have two identical combos except one has braid and the other a fluoro leader with mono....Surprisingly a huge difference when reeling in with the mono feeling much heavier with the same exact lure.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll share any learnings I have with braid as I use it more.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you cast a spinning reel, and just start cranking the reel to close the bail, you often put slack line back on the reel for the first couple of turns. It’s a good idea to get used to closing the bail manually.
I cast a spinning rod right-handed. My rod tip follows the lure until it is pointing downward, my left hand closes the bail, gives a little pull on the braid, and drops to the handle, and I raise the rod tip as I start reeling.
You don't have to do this every day, but I like to use a lubricant, like Reel Magic, on my braid. Spray it on your dry line before the first cast, make a long cast, and spray it on the exposed line on the reel before the retrieve. I think it helps prevent wind knots, and other issues, but when you do get a tangle, it is more likely to pull out, instead of pulling tight and having to be cut off. If you fish all day, or forgot, you can also use it on wet line.

Last edited: