Brass/bronze seacocks

Usid1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just bought 1994 252 sailfish. Have changed all plastic thru hulls. Should I change the metal ? Brass/bronze seacocks ?
Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Just bought 1994 252 sailfish. Have changed all plastic thru hulls. Should I change the metal ? Brass/bronze seacocks ?
Thanks
I take it that you mean you switched out the old, plastic thru-hulls on the side of the boat with something else? And you're asking if you should replace your existing, bronze seacocks? What did you have in mind? What's the reasoning for wanting to change?

Fishtales

Reaction score
If they function properly and are not difficult to open you probably can stay with them. Given that you changed all the thru holes, if cost isn't an issue I'd vote to swap them out. Just my 2 pennies.

seasick

Reaction score
Thanks
In general, if they look OK and work OK, then you don't need to change them. On the other hand, if they are brass and not bronze ( I doubt it but..) they should not be on the boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
They have to be bronze maybe there is a number on them or manufacturer you can get off them and check online?

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
They have to be bronze maybe there is a number on them or manufacturer you can get off them and check online?
If the handles are yellow. I sold them to Grady. They are high quality made in USA bronze. They should be fine for about 30 years.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The only other material that is approved for below the waterline, by the way, is Marelon.

Been over a month and the OP hasn't responded. Either he forgot about this, or he read and moved on without taking a few minutes to respond back.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My “new to me” 2002 330 Express passed an intensive survey accept for a leak in the steering and the AC circulation pump. A few minor things like zippers corroded, stereo remote DNW. The seacocks are all yellow handle Apollo’s made by Conbraco in SC. They work like new. If you have the brass looking handle. They are Perko. I can’t remember when I first started selling them Apollo? It was right around 94. If the boat is out of the water. Put a piece of pipe over the handle and slowly move it?