Brass drain tubes in motorwell, 265 express.

twinyams265

Reaction score
Drain tubes are located in the transom, 1-1/4" diameter x 3" long(brass). I got the parts, and gave the job to my mechanic. He thinks that the 3" tube might be too short (concerned wtith duplicating flange on the end) Called Grady, they said that some transoms came out thicker than others, this could be why. They did state that the correct part is 3", but i might have to get a longer one and cut it down. The tube that came out looks to be the same size as the new one. My mechanic thinks that after sealing tube properly, it would be fine. Any body tackle this project, and if so, what was the outcome ?

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just completed mine on an Islander and the same issue arose. I used the 3 inch tubes but one was a little too short to form the full flare. I sealed it around the edges with 3M 4000 UV sealant. I can just keep an eye on it as it is in a very visable location.

twinyams265

Reaction score
Thanks for the comeback, good to know. My mechanic stated that the holes were gelcoated inside, and that he was not concerned with water intrusion. Thanks again.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Have not done it yet, but will be doing it next season as a precaution, I know they tend to crack over time on Grady's. I did measure my transom and 3" would cut it close, I think going slightly bigger would be best, maybe 3 1/8"-3 3/16" was what I was thinking. Let me know what you go with and how it comes out.

twinyams265

Reaction score
Looks like I will be going with the 3" tubes. We should be able to make a small flare, and finish off with sealant. I will respond when job is done.