Broken driver side panel

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Looking for ideas of how to repair this or where to find a replacement.side panel (3).pngside panel (3).png

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok I'll give it my best guess as far as advice goes on this as I'm not great with fabrication work. If it were me and my limited fiberglass skills, I would take some kind of bendable material (cardboard, plastic sheet etc) and get it behind that hole and taped down as best you can. Then I would start laying in some fiberglass maybe with some chopped mat. Sand it best you can considering the tight corner and paint it and be done.

steveditt

Reaction score
Check with Grady they don't change things often

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Assuming the opposite corner is the same radius... wax the backside surface of the radius really well with a mold release wax. Tape off the rest. Lay a piece of wetted glass over it. When it's dry, you will have a mold that should closely approximate the other side and you can use to rebuild that corner. If the other doesn't match, you "may" be able to push a ballon into that broken corner to support a piece of wetted glass while it dries. It may not match perfectly, but I bet you can get the corner to look pretty good.

Otherwise, see if (might be a longshot) Grady can get you a new one - or completely rebuild that entire area.

Still another option... tape the area with white shrink-wrap tape from the backside, then from the front side.

Reactions: Chadwick

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just talked to Ron, at Rusty Ron's Marine Salvage/Island Marina, in Morehead City, NC, and he said that he may have the part. (252-726-5706) He is close to the GW factory, and buys up their surplus parts at the end of production runs, and has a big warehouse, and yard, full of parts for GW and others. He buys in bulk, so does not always get a detailed breakdown of parts numbers, or what models they fit, and would need a good pic of the whole piece, and a couple of measurements, say corner-to-corner, top to bottom, etc, to narrow it down.
I told him that I was helping a friend find a part, and that you may call.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks I'll give him a call tomorrow when I have the measures. Other thought was to make a wax mole of the starboard side and try to build and epoxy mold.