Broken horn?

tgr23

Reaction score
My electric horn just stopped working. It looks original. Using a multimeter I confirmed it's getting power. Right now it kinda clicks when you hit the button. One side is getting hot. The screws are all kinda crusty and didn't want to budge when I tried getting further in. I'm wondering if these are fixable? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assuming it's the (1) or (2) piece round Ongaro, the best idea is to remove it and replace it.

This is one of those items where it pays to buy it from West Marine and also pays to get their extended warranty on it. The horns don't last more then a couple years anyway and when they break, just remove it, take it to West, and they will replace it for free.

Sketchywind

Reaction score
My horn did the same thing when I first tried it. I removed the covers and I sprayed some WD-40 into the horn opening and it loosened something in there. Both work great now.

Enough Already

Reaction score
If they are over 5 years old, I'm with parthery and have done so on my boat. Buy the 3-year warranty and put a note on your calendar 2 years and 11 months out to check to see if it still works perfectly.

zimm

Reaction score
The west marine branded one was an exact replacement for my old one. Same screw holes and everything.

Old one:

West marine version:
http://www.westmarine.com/horns/west-ma ... --12439337

12439337.jpg

mboyatt

Reaction score
I love the way west marine makes exact replicas of other products. I was i'n the market to replace 2 pop out pie plates with the screw down pie plates and they did not stock Beckson plates. Figured I would try the west marine brand, and sure enough, an exact replacement down to the location of the mounting screws. Only 19 bucks per plate, which is what the Beckson plates cost. Not sure if quality is the same, but I am giving it a shot. I am sure the horn will be fine, especially with the warranty.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had replaced mine 3 years ago and got the ones from WM. I think that they are from Ongaro and just branded for WM. Anyhow, they are rusting internally and the rust is dripping out on the gelcoat now. I am sure over time, they will fail from rust out.
I found through a lot of searching and reading, Ongaro makes 2 versions. Part number 10001 which is the normal mini twins with SS housing. Then the Part number 10002 which is SS housing and internal parts also.
I just ordered a new one from Defender as I could not find it anywhere else for a better price. WM does not offer the fully SS model.

Blackbird

Reaction score
Electric horns, especially in salt water environments generally don't last very long. Some time back, I got tired of replacing mine and went to the handheld gas horn. They definitely get peoples attention but also have a very short life before they rust out or leak. My solution is a good quality whistle. It is just as loud as an electric horn and it always works.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I have a replacement from a vendor on ebay sitting in a box waiting to be installed. Its a name brand direct replacement for the original horn (perko). Don't discount ebay as a source. I think I got my horn for around $24 shipping included. Why would I even attempt to fix the old corroded mess when I could replace it so cheaply?

Also, in the restoration/repair of my new to me 27 year old Overnighter I am presently in the process of working out wiring issues.
There are ground wires that I found that corrosion had worked its way through the entire length of the wire and were subsequently replaced.
That's to be expected from a boat used in a saltwater environment.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
YOu can go either way with cost, but my horn is only 3 years old. Back in the winter I pulled it off and opened and treated with the rust stop and it still is coming and getting worse. I don't want to have to replace horns every few years. This removal, reseal, rewire, etc is a pita sometimes so hoping the fully SS model will be as good as the quality they put on over 20 years ago that was not rusting, but just stopped working. I hate rust and especially the stains on the gelcoat as they are hard to remove.

Even the name brands now are having their products made overseas and cheaper metals and will rust in less than a year. Good luck and hope I am proven wrong on that, but that has been my experience.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I love the way west marine makes exact replicas of other products.

:uhm It's called re-branding. West makes nothing and buys everything they sell from those who do ...