Broken skeg but no prop damage

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Is this possible? I used the boat last and don't recall being near anything shallow or hearing any noises. My dad went out yesterday and the guys at the rack pointed out the skeg was torn off. Oddly not a single mark on the prop. The impact appeared to be from the side. We suspect the lift opperator hit it. Can a skeg break this badly without prop damage?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would say no, file a complaint with the marina ASAP.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm concerned about repercussions. We can't prove anything.
To make things worse we went up yesterday to remove the lower unit and there were fresh gouges completely through the gelcoat on the port side. We never dock to port!

eppem

Reaction score
Any chance you got hit by another vessel while the boat was tied up waiting to be hauled? I have seen that happen.

SteveS

Reaction score
Yes, it is possible for a skeg to be torn off without any damage to the prop. It happened to me. I was crusing at approx 28 mph and I heard a faint little "tick" sound. Later, I raised the Yamaha F225, and saw that I was missing a skeg. There were some scratches on one side of the lower unit and 3/4 of the skeg was gone. It was repaired by welding on a new skeg and proper painting. I'm not saying this is what happened to you . I'm answering the question concerning skeg damage without prop damage. I reviewed my tracks on the chartplotter and saw that I had follishly traveled in an area that had some random submerged rocks and my track showed that I had cruised over one of them.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
You said you had gouges in the lower unit. Mine was spotless.
The conversation came up with a veteran of the same rack. I told him what we found. His immediate response was "I'm sure they hit it with the lift. It wouldn't be the first time!"
I can't prove it, but I think I'll call the Marina to talk to management.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
family affair said:
You said you had gouges in the lower unit. Mine was spotless.
The conversation came up with a veteran of the same rack. I told him what we found. His immediate response was "I'm sure they hit it with the lift. It wouldn't be the first time!"
I can't prove it, but I think I'll call the Marina to talk to management.
Did you get any response with the Marina?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Marina has a no penalty policy for the lift operators. The guy we suspect could have done the damage also did 10 grand in damage to another boat last year. The manager is going to look into it, but I doubt anything will come of it to my benefit.
I think the gelcoat damage was from another boat that hit mine when it was waiting to be picked
up.