Wait & Sea

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Hi Everyone, I am looking for opinions on this situation. I saw a Grady on Yacht World that I called the broker and got info about this boat as for previous ownership and overall condition. I was satisfied with what was told and bid on the boat and got an accepted offer. The broker had the boat for over 2 months as they put a generator in it. Upon doing a sea trial many things did not work. Nothing major but enough to wonder why it was in such condition. Now is where it gets interesting. I presented a punch list and we agreed upon a number. After the number was agreed upon the broker informed me that one of the most expensive fixes was not a warranty item as he told me prior to submitting a number. I still decided to move forward. Upon doing a title search I learned the following. The HIN number on the stern was changed as the boat was once stolen and furthermore it was a 3 previous owner boat rather than a two owner as told. I backed out of the deal. I have incurred some costs in the 1000-2000 range. I feel that they are responsible for it due to the misinformation provided. The broker is a Grady Dealer. I have notified Grady and the states titling division as they seem interested.

PS. I am hoping that we can work it out between us which is why I have not disclosed the Broker name at the moment.

Any thoughts on this matter are welcome!

MA208

Reaction score
Ouch. I wouldn’t expect that from a Grady dealer. Have you been in contact with the owner of the dealership? If your costs are survey and sea trial related probably not much can be done. But maybe they could meet you somewhere in the middle for misrepresenting the vessel.

Wait & Sea

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Ouch. I wouldn’t expect that from a Grady dealer. Have you been in contact with the owner of the dealership? If your costs are survey and sea trial related probably not much can be done. But maybe they could meet you somewhere in the middle for misrepresenting the vessel.
Yes, it is dissappointing. Grady White is interested and I will give them the whole low down if we cannot come to a amicable solution. I can understand if you sea trial a boat with the correct representation and do not like it but when it is misrepresented that is where I have a problem. I asked the broker to have ownership give me a call yesterday AM. Still haven't got one. I am calling them today.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yes, it is dissappointing. Grady White is interested and I will give them the whole low down if we cannot come to a amicable solution. I can understand if you sea trial a boat with the correct representation and do not like it but when it is misrepresented that is where I have a problem. I asked the broker to have ownership give me a call yesterday AM. Still haven't got one. I am calling them today.
A well worded letter to the CEO might not hurt. Express your interest in still getting a quality boat from them when it becomes available. Id think GW will not want salesmen on their team if they misrepresent to a customer. Maybe it’s a new employee who doesn’t know better. The boating industry is in flux right now, as are labor markets. Anything that floats has been selling for 2 years.

Also don’t get discouraged, you spent $1,000 but maybe saved $10,000 by not buying the wrong boat.

Wait & Sea

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Spoke with ownership. They take no responsibility for stating it was a 2 owner boat or having the Hull ID not match the paperwork. It was stated that is why you do a survey.
I find this difficult to accept.

Reactions: sailUSVI

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I can appreciate your situation, I really can. However, unless it's money you paid directly to the dealer, the costs you incurred are part of your "due diligence". It's quite possible that the current owner of the boat did not know anything (or lied) about it being stolen or how many owner's the boat has had. The dealer would have simply asked the current owner for "information" about the boat and then just copied and pasted what the current owner said. They're acting solely as a broker - not necessarily in the position of knowing all the details of the boat. That brings us back to your part - your due diligence - which you did. Again, I understand your point of view, but the burden of proof, so to say, is on the buyer. And, as mentioned above, it was probably money well spent, in the long run.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If the dealership is selling you the boat and they currently own it. then they have a greater responsibility. If they are brokering the boat for a current owner, different issue. I had a similar issue with a dealer here on the West Coast of Florida. They actually owned the boat although it was used and they had purchased it from the original owner.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have to agree with others. Unless you personally know the boat, your investment in the investigation of this boat is on you. Unless you had a refundable deposit on this boat pending a satisfactory sea trial and/or survey, that's the only money you will recover. Anything you paid out of pocket is on you. The broker is just that, a broker. He is repeating what he was told about the boat by present owner. And whether the present owner was truthful or had any knowledge of the previous life the boat had is to be seen.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Spoke with ownership. They take no responsibility for stating it was a 2 owner boat or having the Hull ID not match the paperwork. It was stated that is why you do a survey.
I find this difficult to accept.
So by the owner making that statement he has no responsibility for anything to do with the boat other than reaping the rewards from the sell ?....lousy business model in my opinion.

...let’s say the hours are reported to be 230 but in reality they were well over a 1000, the selling dealer gets a pass?

232Grady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Why would you spend any money before Sea Trial? After "accepted sea trial" do title search which costs $25 bucks. If it checks out, NOW spend the BUCKS! Computer read engines, SURVEY. You can save money buying a boat, BUT you have to follow certain steps.
2 owners or 5, who cares? HIN numbers wrong, "MAKE" the broker "clear title"! He IS making $$, make him SHARE his side also. If is owned by someone else, broker is representing BOTH parties. IF IT IS THE BOAT, involve all three parties. Buyer, seller, broker add up the damage and split it 3 ways. Make the deal, go fishing, have fun. If not walk away educated!

Rules: In this order spend $0, $1, $2, $3, etc. Save the most for last! Good Luck!

seasick

Reaction score
Make a claim in small claims court. You have little to lose. Your claim would be based on the dealer misrepresenting the status and condition of the boat and the fact that they agreed an offer on a boat they didn't have ( Incorrect HIN). You don't have much standing on the 2 owner versus 3 or 10 previous owners, but the hull number should match the one on your contract assuming you have a contract signed by the broker

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Make a claim in small claims court. You have little to lose. Your claim would be based on the dealer misrepresenting the status and condition of the boat and the fact that they agreed an offer on a boat they didn't have ( Incorrect HIN). You don't have much standing on the 2 owner versus 3 or 10 previous owners, but the hull number should match the one on your contract assuming you have a contract signed by the broker
While I don’t disagree, I’d try talking to the mgmt at the dealer, before going formal with a claim. Local boating circles are small enough that you don’t want to piss off someone you’d run into again. You may need their help someday too, this Grady or another.

seasick

Reaction score
I understand your position but tell me, if you needed a Grady dealer in the future and you had choices, would you choose this one?

In nay case, good luck going forward.

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I definitely feel your pain on the 1000-2000 dollars you are out, but, that is part of buying a boat. it is like buying a house. You bid on a house, then as the process progresses, you may learn things about the house during inspections that may affect your offer. You can counter offer the seller and they may or may not accept your counter offer. If you are unable to agree, the deal falls through. However, you are still out the money you paid to the home inspectors. consider it money well spent. Better luck in your search.

sailUSVI

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Gull, you left out one very important aspect….disclosure.

Gullchaser

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Gull, you left out one very important aspect….disclosure.
True. However, proving that the broker deliberately misrepresented the boat is going to be a difficult task. Undoubtedly, there is a clause in the contract protecting the broker/seller in case of inadvertent misrepresentation. As I stated previously, I feel for the OP, and it stings to eat 1 to 2 k to discover things that were deal breakers for the OP. Not fun at all, in fact it stinks. But that is the reason why inspections/ title searches are done. Better to find out now than later. To expect to recoup those costs from the seller is, in my opinion, a dream. Perhaps I am wrong. But, why would a seller agree to a contract that would leave them on the hook for a buyers expenses if the buyer was unsatisfied with the results? I looked at many 265's before I bought the one I did. Almost all of them were misrepresented in some way, most likely due to a lazy broker inputting incorrect information in the listing. A few of them I paid for inspections, that in the end, were unsatisfactory to me. Ultimately, I found one that, after inspections, was satisfactory to me. All of the inspections were money well spent. Again, it stings, and I wish the OP better luck on their search.