Brown stain on the hull

Frank G

Reaction score
Over the past month, we've had a bad mahogany tide in our river. Every boat in our marina has a brown ring above the water line. Someone suggested that I use Starbrite hull cleaner. I don't have a trailer so I would be using it while the boat is in the slip. My concern is what if any damage might a cleaner do to the graphics that cover about 6 feet of the hull. The brown ring does extend into the lettering in places.
Thanks for any suggestions.

dduflo

Reaction score
The Works or Snobol, bought at Walmart's toilet cleaning section, works great. Using a rubber glove pour some on a clean rag and wipe it on. Wait a minute or two and your stain will be gone.

BCLII

Reaction score
This won't hurt the gel coat? :hmm

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
This won't hurt the gel coat?

No, but it will take off any wax or polish. You're a little limited with what you can do in the water ... :uhm

BCLII

Reaction score
Here in MN we have a lot of iron in the water, which leaves a brown colored stain. My Grady sits in the water and I pull it out every 3-4 weeks and work on the stain. I will try that cleaner on it.

BCLII

Reaction score
dduflo said:
The Works or Snobol, bought at Walmart's toilet cleaning section, works great. Using a rubber glove pour some on a clean rag and wipe it on. Wait a minute or two and your stain will be gone.

Well I found something that works way better, jjv's Best, pricy but the best. No elbow grease! :dance

thunder3535

Reaction score
Guys, do the same rules apply in fresh water too? I assume most of you are in saltwater. My Gulfstream is not bottom painted and I am getting a dock next week so it will be in for a few months. If not, what is the best way to go about painting? What kind of paint do you recommend?
Thanks

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anything acidic will remove that brown stain. Muriatic acid (HCL), if it is really baked in. But a milder cleaner that contain oxalic acid will do the job if the stain is fresh.

You will need to replace the wax or polish in any case.