Burning off both tanks on Marlin

alfa1023

Reaction score
I do that on my 330 Express (also did it on my 272 Sailfish) - but my purpose isn't to keep things balanced, but to avoid having stale fuel in either tank as well as to isolate any fuel related problem that might occur by being able to switch engines/tanks back and forth to narrow down the problem.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I do just that....each tank feeds one engine. In the event that I have a problem, I can always switch things around.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
I learned the hard way to not burn both motors off one tank when bad ethanol shut down both motors in a span of about 30 seconds and caused me to wait on Sea Tow for an hour and a half.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New Sailfish owner here and still learning. Great idea of burning off both tanks. How do you know how much fuel is in each tank. Don't you need to know that for adding fuel additives (Ring Free, Startron, etc)? Fuel management just monitors total fuel used. Are you using the Yamaha bar fuel gauge and just guess? Thanks Guys!

GTOMAN

Reaction score
If your memory is like mine and you don't go out that often, I suggest keeping a written log re: when you filled up and an estimate of what you burned on each trip. Fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable. Mine was reading full and I spent about 6 hours over 2 days trying to start the motors and figure out what was wrong with my fuel pumps, etc. Finally took the top off the tank and it was bone dry inside. That's how bad my memory is after several months not using the boat.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yea, know what you mean. I keep a calculator, scotch tape, and note pad handy. Write down everytime I get gas and tape it inside the console somewhere. What year is your goat?

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a sailfish with OX66. I only use non-ethonal fuel which is available at most marina's in Ocean City MD. Add ring free everytime and never had a problem. I usually run both engines on main on way offshore then switch to reserve for trolling and the run home. Usually have to switch back to main at some point (depending on the run).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Never thought of using one engine on a different tank from the other. But like to know the fuel level and so far the gauges have been very accurate until lately, one is flaky so have to replace the fuel tank sensor.
But, on a rough day, it seemed to me to burn fuel from the rear tank first to get more weight forward and then less trim needed as the day goes on. So far, that has worked well on a couple of trips when it was rough out. Seems ok to do this on the 252G model so far.

I do like to alternate fuel tanks each trip out though to keep both tanks with fresh fuel.
All fuel here is Ethanol, so just use Ring Free Plus (new formula) and Startron and so far, no fuel issues.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dave, considering a 3500-3800 RPM cruise, what is your fuel burn and what is your range from just your main tank. You got me scratchin' my head. I didn't think you could buy non-ethanol fuel anywhere in Maryland. Marina owners have told me that. How much you paying per gal?