Busted Lower Unit F250

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Our boat has been in the water for 3 weeks and like an idiot I bounced the lower unit off a rock this afternoon. What an awful feeling... It continued to run and sounded ok, so I limped home at a moderate speed. Seemed to run fine actually, but when I got to the dock, I found no reverse and couldn't even get into neutral. There is damage on the front of the bullet - about golf ball size - can't tell how big a rupture, but definitely losing grease.

Who has been through this before? I assume I am buying a new lower unit... Am I in bigger trouble than that? Anybody know what this is likely to cost, other than my pride?

Thanks.... Mike :oops:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Shop around....SEI makes a perfect match and they are substantially less.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
A new Yamaha lower unit will set you back over $3000. Sorry for your incident. Hopefully insurance will cover it for you.

striped bass

Reaction score
From one 225 owner to another I am so sorry to read about the mishap. I know it hurts to see your Yamaha damaged from such a random accident. It was very windy today in RI with quite a chop on the water. Did the weather have anything to do with the accident?
Now to your question. I have not been through this agony but here are a few suggestions. The lower unit as mentioned by the earlier post will have to be replaced - about $3,000. Have the main drive shaft (from engine block to lower unit) checked out. The end that fits into the lower unit could be damaged. The yard mechanic should check out the hydraulics since the engine was probably forced up involuntarily. Also check your Yamaha manual because it has a specific section on lower units hitting submerged rocks.
Keep us posted on the "get well" program.

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys - will let you know how it goes. Gotta read my insurance policy this moning! Hopefully we can be back in action soon. I have a feeling this is going to be expensive...

jellyfish

Reaction score
Mike, I hope you can get it fixed and soon. I have hit tires, wood as well, I never did damage to the lowwer unit but have bent a prop or two in my lifetime. I wish you the best. No one got hurt so thats the main thing. You can always replace a lower unit or get the boat fixed.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Mike,
We got our boats at about the same time so I definitely feel your pain. The worst thing about these kind of incidents is how angry I get w/ myself, but just let it go. Everybody's safe and the mechanical parts can be replaced. I think it is preferable to damaging the hull and more easily repaired. In a while you'll never be able to tell it was damaged and you'll be out enjoying "White Horses" again. Get well soon!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey - thanks alot guys - I think at the end of the day its a bummer, but as you correctly point out - nobody got hurt. I understand from the insurance folks that it is covered, although there will be a deductable which I haven't figured out yet. I called the very professional and responsive folks at Catalano and Sons who sold me the boat. They are about 1/2 hour away by car, and I'll be damned if they didn't have the boat on one of their trailers in about that much time. That says alot to me given how busy they must be this time of year. I hope to have her back in a week or two.

The great news is that there is not a scratch on the hull itself. Boy was that a relief...

I'll post any other developments, but for now it is in the dealers yard and waiting for the insurance folks to catch up...

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok - just a status report... Insurance DID cover the lower unit. The insurance company had to send a marine surveyor to the dealer's yard to see the damage, but the cut a check for $4,300. I picked the boat up this afternoon and drove her back to Norwalk harbor - good as new - I am so pleased. She was out of the water for 2 weeks. The first week was spent simply getting the insurance people to act, but Catalano replaced the lower unit in just a few days after that...

So all is well that ends well...

jellyfish

Reaction score
congrats to you! Thats why you have ins and thats what its there for. Have a great spring/summer with the boat!