But you have never seen this mix in the bilge

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Had the boat out of the water for about a month since I was traveling and working on my whaler project. Cleaned it all up last weekend, and put it in the water. Thats when things started to get wierd. Noticed a fair amount of water in the bilge withing 20 mins after launch. I figured some water must have been in the foward compartment when on the level trailer and it was just finally draining back. Got the bow up and a slow cruise and pumped it out. Two nights later...sitting at dinner, I get a call from the Marina. "Hey you may wanna get up here your pump has been running for a few secs every few mins" Panic set in two days of running the bilge, my batteries were prob getting low. First saving grace, two days prior to launch I replaced all my batteries. Anyhow got my trailer up there and started looking for an obvious leak, I coulnt find anything. Scratching my head, I went in the cabin and started moving some gear off the floor to get to the pie plate. Immeditly noticed all my gear was soaked. Opened the pie plate and this blue liquid that resembled snot came boiling out and a strong stench of oil. what the!! put my hand in the liquid and it was thick, smelly and clung to everything. Long story short I pulled the boat. So what I can figure is this thick liquid clogged my drain line and choked off my blige pump and fried it. That caused water from heavy rains the last month when the boat was in the yard to collect in the cabin. Went un-noticed since I had so much gear on the floor. This was the source of the water getting in the boat. It was slowly trickling back into the rear bilge, only thing I could figure was the ride from the ramp to the marina jiggled it enough to let some pass. So, no leak which was good! but where did this stuff come from, why did it smell like oil or gas so bad, why was it blue? Tanks and lines to my fuel system was all good and no obvious leaks in the tank compartments. Anyhow I got it all cleaned out in the yard after alot of swearing yeserday, snaking the line and a combo of dawn soap, and simple green. Now before I tell you what this was and how it happened lets hear some guesses. Its a 92 Explorer.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Outboard oil.

Did you have a gallon container down there? It may have split.

If not you need to check your tank....it may be split.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Paint ??? An old container s[lit open. Why it may have been in the bilge...???

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes here are the culprits..2 cycle oil and some sanitation tank mix, stowed up in the port side cabin storage under the seats...two small cracks formed..must have been a bigger wave...they in turn leaked down and mixed into surp. Anyhow good idea to check what you have stowed away. In my 20 years of boating ive never had to deal with such a mess.