BUYER BEWARE, I WAS RIPPED OFF LAST NIGHT! ***UPDATE***

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Someone on this forum (Job87 who joined in March and has no posts) sent me a message sayng that he knows a guy parting out a Seafarer. I've been looking for 1991 Seafarer doors, so I contacted him. He said that he had the doors and that they would be $225 shipped.

His emails were a bit suspicious and as soon as I saw him say "send me a screenshot of the money sent" I knew I was F%#&ed. I was so excited to finally get the doors, I wasn't thinking. Thats on me.

This guy is an ass and took my $225. I've reported him to the banks, PayPal and the authorities, but I'm warning all of you to beware. If you get a note from Job87 saying he knows a guy that has parts that you're looking for, don't send him any money. And NEVER send money as Friends and Family. Thats what I did and it's hard to get your money back that way.

I thought I could trust people on this forum, but sometimes people just suck!

Reactions: Timbo and Pighunter

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Sorry man, that sucks. That same scam is going on other social platforms as well, the "I know a guy" sales pitch.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Sorry man, that sucks. That same scam is going on other social platforms as well, the "I know a guy" sales pitch.
Thanks. I should have known better, but in my excitement I was fooled. I hope to get my money back, but I am skeptical.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Job87 is banned.

Sorry that happened to you. We can't catch them all. Anytime a message refers you to contact so and so,,, it's not legit. Don't respond, but report it, and either me or Jeff will ban and remove them.
Yeah, lessen learned. Thanks for the ban.

used2sail

Reaction score
i bought some arm rests a couple months ago from a member , soon after i was contacted by a different member claiming to have a second set that i needed. after a couple back and forth messages i was convinced this person was a scammer and reported him to moderators. It seems someone is looking at posts to see who is looking for items and then claiming to have them in order to run scams.

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Sorry they got you. I know the feeling, but luckily I was able to stop the PayPal transaction since I realized it was a scam so quickly.

One other bit of advice is to never use PayPal Friends &Family for the transaction. Always pay the fee to get the buyer protection when dealing with someone you don't know not face to face. If they insist on F&F, walk away. Most of the time, they'll walk away themselves if you tell them you won't use F&F. They don't want the heat from PayPal going after them...

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Sorry they got you. I know the feeling, but luckily I was able to stop the PayPal transaction since I realized it was a scam so quickly.

One other bit of advice is to never use PayPal Friends &Family for the transaction. Always pay the fee to get the buyer protection when dealing with someone you don't know not face to face. If they insist on F&F, walk away. Most of the time, they'll walk away themselves if you tell them you won't use F&F. They don't want the heat from PayPal going after them...
That’s great advice. Thank you.l

hooked on Grady

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
i am glad to hear that, we love our boats and sh...... like that really hurts. partly for the crime partly because we let ourselves be had, darn them!!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Nice ending. Doesn't happen enough. Even less that the scammer catches what he/she/it/they/them.... deserve.

Reactions: Halfhitch

ECO

Reaction score
Website
www.pchcs.net
Model
Marlin
I had responded to a genset with 21 hours and a life raft that was up to date, the post is a charter captain on Lake Erie, out of NY, seemed like a nice guy, we agreed on a price, I wired the money. He was buying a GW 33, he did not need it on Lake Erie, so I wait for it to be removed and shipped... And wait, he has Covid, ... Waiting to pull it... He may drive it down... Has a friend who can ship it... Waiting, I find a shipper to ship it. It arrives, has rust and 430+ hours, not 21 as he claimed. Not the same year as the boat it came from, it was older, and the life raft had never been inspected. When I called him after it arrived he immediately stop taking my calls. He said he was sponsored and worked with Okuma Reels. I ordered two reels and he sent something other than I ordered, and sent a few free lures to try. I think I may know what happened to the genset, he mentioned one of his buddies want to buy it but it was sold to me. I wonder if his buddy swapped units with him, as I had to rebuild the carb and do other work on it after receiving it. He was only on here once also, and that was to list it for sale. I don't have any ill will towards him, but I do know that his is not an honest person, nor is he known at Okuma by the lovely lady who runs the charter captain program. You will find him hosting Walleye and Pike Tournaments on Lake Erie out of NY. So the lesson learned here are good and bad people, Until you spend time with them you don't know their true character. He joined solely to sell something and never returned. Perhaps a selling restriction for 30 days after joining would help reduce some fraud, but never all. Never use those cash apps, as they fall under different banking laws, which can make it impossible to get your money returned. Instead use your bank or credit union.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

Is the “buyer protection fee” you reference a feature of PayPal? What is the best way to transfer $ for person-to-person transactions?

Reactions: ECO

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
...and then when you kneecap someone, you're the bad guy

Reactions: ECO

enfish

Reaction score
Model
Adventure

Yamama04107

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
My day job is running a box office at an arena. I can't tell you how many people I have to deal with every event because they were so excited that so and so was coming they bought tixs on the first website they searched...without knowing what the face value was or if the seller was real. All I can say is that you put the breaks on your excitement to purchase online for what ever product and make sure who you are dealing with. Better yet, only pay via AMEX and you will be somewhat protected.