buying 1st boat - advice sought (208 adventure)

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also, please make sure that your trailer electrical hook-up matches the one on your truck. If your trailer has surge brakes, you will need a 4 pole plug. The 4th is to the back-up light on your truck and this tells the trailer brake solenoid not to lock up the trailer brakes. Your transmission will not like it if you try to back up and the trailer brakes lock up.

Don't ask me how I know.

You and your family will love the Adventure. It's a great first boat.

dlevitt

Reaction score
Daman858 said:
Also, please make sure that your trailer electrical hook-up matches the one on your truck. If your trailer has surge brakes, you will need a 4 pole plug. The 4th is to the back-up light on your truck and this tells the trailer brake solenoid not to lock up the trailer brakes. Your transmission will not like it if you try to back up and the trailer brakes lock up.

Don't ask me how I know.

You and your family will love the Adventure. It's a great first boat.

Did you mean a 5 pole plug? I thought that the first 4 were for ground, left and right directionals and stop light. The 5th (which may be a blue wire, I think...) is to open the solenoid and release the pressure from the brakes.

Reaction score
Trailer electrical adapters

I also just bought a used Adventure 208, and am trailering it back from Maine in a week. The electrical hookup in my Jeep is flat with 4 sockets, and I needed to get an adapter with a 5th "socket" to connect to the trailer. I am told that the 5th socket is for the traler braking system, and allows you to back up without the trailer brakes locking. I was also told that many trailers with a braking system have a switch that you can use to turn off the brakes, so that you can back up the trailer.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the boat.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, I meant a 5 pole plug. And Champy, if you have surge brakes you do need a 5 pole plug. One wire goes to the back-up light which tells the solenoid not to lock up the brakes when you back up. You can use a 4 pole temporarily but you must put the small metal bar in the holes on the trailer tongue so that the trailer brakes will not lock up. You can get the 5 pole plug at any trailer dealer, marine store or auto parts place. It can be spliced into the wires you have now with the extra wire spliced into the back-up light on your truck.

This applies to surge brakes only.

boslaw

Reaction score
boat is mine

Survey & sea trial went great. Having the broker add new bottom paint, buff & wax before I pick up on Sunday. Can't wait.

ChampyAdventure208: Where did you buy yours from?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You may want to consider hiring a professional interstate boat mover, and may find their charge very reasonable, considering. Ask your dealer for a recommendation, and mention them when you call for a quote. Some of these guys have websites too.

boslaw

Reaction score
I got mine at Casco Bay Yacht Sales. There was another on the lot (a 1998) but was just sold last week. I was curious if you were the one that bought the 98.

boslaw

Reaction score
I got a 97 hull and 97 Yamaha 200HP engine.

Reaction score
I hope everything goes well trailering it home this weekend. I will be bringing mine home next Wednesday. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather this summer. Enjoy the boat!

a1mccray

Reaction score
By by now you have more info than you can handle. The reason so many have responded is because we all have been boating for a while and we hate to see other people make the same mistakes we have. Just to add to the list....

Before trailering, know exactly where you are going and which roads you will take. You do not want to learn to back up until you are in an open lot. Not on a side road that you need to turn around on.

Expect to go 50 mph on the highway. Leave at least 3-5 car lengths distance between cars. Pulling is easy. Having to stop quickly will scare the h--- out of you. Expect it.

When you get to the ramp

Take off straps
Have bow and stern line ready
Double check to see plug is in. The plug is in the very bottom of the boat. The other holes are for draining.
Unhook safety chain.
I unhook the electrical hookup to the car. Why? When you are backing down the ramp you will have the brakes on which means the trailer lights will be on. I do not want hot bulbs going into cold water.
Load the boat with items in the car now.
Put fenders on side of boat
Slowly back down the ramp until boat is able to be floated or pushed off.
Let passengers hold onto boat while you park car. Have them move the boat to end of ramp so others can either load or unload.
The trick is to move quickly when you are at the ramp. Know what you are going to do before you do it. Everyone wants to get into and out of the water quickly. Don't hold up the line.
Teach your better half how to use the boat. Many relationships have failed because one didn't know what they should do and made a fool of themselves at the ramp.
Enjoy....

boslaw

Reaction score
I appreciate all of the replies. I think I'll be fine, but the more info I have, the better off I'll be

boslaw

Reaction score
got the boat home today. no problem trailering at all - car & trailer handled like a dream. Now I'm putzing around this week cleaning & getting ready for next weekend (I would have put it in tomorrow but I have to get it registered in state).

Anyone have a good resource detailing all of the features, switches, knobs, etc. on the boat and what they're all for? I downloaded the manual from gradywhite.com but it could be better. I'm sure it's all obvious to you experienced folk, but for a newbie like me, some of it's not obvious.

Thanks again for all the help