buying a grady questions

waterman

Reaction score
lookin at a 82 204c looks like its in good shape anything to look for ? and is there any wood (stringers etc.) in this boat and anything to look for to tell if there rotted and if there is wood in it what year did they stop putting wood in them new to the site and lookin for my first grady thanks for the help

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Waterman, welcome aboard. Grady never stopped using wood in their boats, they are using it till today. The first thing you should look/check is the transom. Usually is the first thing to go bad in a Grady, but not the end of the world. For about 4-5 K proffessionally done, you can make that transom good for another 25 plus years. If you are handy and worked with fiberglass before it will cost you peanuts plus your time. Good luck.

richie rich

Reaction score
yup...Grady still uses wood today....you should hire a surveyor if you really are not familiar with boat construction...but one way they look at a boat for wet or rot wood is simply thumping with a hammer....if it has a hard or sharp sound when thumping, chances are you are OK...if you hear a dead thud, its wet and getting wetter.....you should also do a moisture meter scan of the hull...with the bottom paint off if possible to be sure. If you can look into the bilge, see if you can get a clear view of the inside glass....if its clear and somewhat green in color, the laminate still is good....if you see dark spots especially in the corners and aft and it has a sulphur smell inside, its got some rot going. Also check the screws in the transom....see how well they are sealed and how many have been covered up.....see if the guy will let you remove a transducer screw.......if water drips out?????.....most likely the 82 has some wetness in it unless its been trailered all its life....just be prepared...you are buying a 27 year old boat

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Richie, the hammer deal works, and from the inside out will show no potenrial marks, he really needs to be shown and hear the diffrence and how hard to hit (hit it hard), or at least know what's good sound to the hammer blow.

Just wet is not obvious, rotted surely is.

Dry, good and solid is more like hitting a rock!

Transom/ main stringers/fordeck, walkaround deck/and cabin bulkheads.

richie rich

Reaction score
yeah, you definitely need to have some experience here....I had a few marine shop mechanics show me how, otherwise I wouldn't know what I was really listening to......it would be his only option if he couldn't get a qualified mechanic or surveyor...a last resort of sort.

waterman

Reaction score
thanks for the help guys any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated i dont want to buy someone elses headache I know its an old boat but i like the style and most of the newer ones are so pricey i cant touch them

richie rich

Reaction score
Waterman.....the boat very well may be a great find so dont give up on it....just do a real thorough investigation on it and maybe you'll have found a gem...talk to the ownwer and see how he used it....see if he sounds believable.....get some 2nd and 3rd hand opinions from friends etc...take it for a ride for sure.....a survey will be key to peace of mind...

goodluck