Buying a Grady White

paddyboy

Reaction score
Hi, I have a serious interest in buying a Grady White boat for fishing. I live in New Jersey and plan to fish mostly coastal with maybe an overnight trip once in a while. I wasn't sure of a good length, but one of my friends who owns a Grady White 28'-0" said he'd get a 24 foot model with a wide beam. Is it also better to have 2 outboards instead of 1 in case of engine failure ?

I saw a 1983 Grady White for sale with the walk around, Offshore model with twin yamahas, but I wasn't sure if the boat would be too old. Do the older Grady's have better hulls than the newer ones or would purchasing a newer boat be the way to go ?

Is there a way to tell of a hulls condition with a boat mechanic inspecting it ? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, I know its the end of the season, but if the right Grady came along I would buy it. Thanks Paddyboy

richie rich

Reaction score
the 83 hull would be a great boat for inshore fishing...the newer versions started in the early 90's and have the variable deadrise hull....better for offshore......As with any old boat, the 83 will most likely need a new transom core, hatch re-core, and possibly stringer damage just do to age...then there's everything else that goes over time like fuel tanks, thru hulls, hoses, maybe even some wiring, engine performance etc......a newer boat is less work obviously, but it will cost you more $$$$ up front....and always get a professional survey done...it may save you in the long run. Maybe this boat was well kept and in great shape? you never know...go look at it and have it checked out...any question marks, walk away and find another boat...plenty of them out there.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Before you buy any boat, have a survey of it first.

If you don't plan on trailering I'd say look at a Sailfish (stand-up head, twins, large cockpit, shower,wide beam). That '83 model may be in good shape but with a flooded market, keep looking.