Buying a Grady

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I placed a down payment on a 2003 GW 265 express / twin 225 Yamaha 4 srtokes last weekend. Several years back I owned a 215 Aquasport walkaround. I have the sea trial and closing this weekend. The dealer tells me that this Grady will be a completely different experience form the Aquasport relative to quality and especially the ride. Can anyone confirm this is a reality.

Thanks Very Much.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I own a 2002 265 express, my Dad and I purchased it this past spring and ran it all year. The boat handles great. As compared to a smaller aquasport, there is no comparison. Compare it to a new aquasport, and you still cannot compare it, I know this because I have a 275 explorer next to me and have fished it many times. I've ran the boat to the canyon which for me is 78nm to the tip, I usually run roughly 85+nm each way +troll and overnight. I've had the 265 in some nasty conditions. We moved up from a 22 seafarer, and the difference in size and ride is noticeable. I usually run around 30mph in all conditions, I rarely slow up with this hull. The hull does take a little bit of getting used to the tabs, but after a few trips it will be second nature. Any boat this size will require some use of tabs, smaller boats are not effected as much. If you have any questions, pm me.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was on an older Aquasport a while back and it was a decent boat but the 265 is A LOT more boat than your old one.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It definitely is a reality in terms of quality and ride and all of the LI dealers are top notch as well.

Tunateaser

Reaction score
2003 Yamaha 225 / 4 stroke motors 160 hours

Hi Guys,

Can you folks help me out with a question? I have asked the dealer if it's necessary to use Ring Free in the 4 stroke motors. I always used the stuff on my last boat but it has a 200 Yamaha 2 stroke. Dealer tells me it's a wise move to use it with 4 strokes as well.

Also, Dealer had no opinion on using synthetic oil in the 4 stokes. He did say that Yamaha 4 stroke oil 10w30 has marine grade anit corrosion property's that I need to stick with to continue the warranty.

Thank You, Dan

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you put it in your car?

Maybe once in a while to clean the valves and combustion chamber.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Most boaters I know use Ring Free in their 4 strokes. It's cheap insurance. 1 oz to 10 gals of fuel.

Best of luck with your new boat. The canyons will be well within your reach. :D

eppem

Reaction score
you just can't make a comparison

you will be quite happy with the grady...i own the same boat, model year and engines...here to help. you will probably hear from mr ronzo and tim "fishinfinatic". all good guys, all hear to help

Don't get nuts with the tabs...keep em retracted, only use them to correct lean port and starboard..when you get on plane you can raise the engines a tad and really get a nice ride...i also own a 22 pursuit, a great boat for its class, but you cant compare it to the 26 you just bought...different animal, this boat, the grady, can take you to the canyons, or to the beach with the kids...fish it hard, run it hard, take care of her and she will take care of you...best of luck, its a great boat...

Tim and I stay in touch and tell each other about things we have noticed, fixed, repaired, etc....

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Excellent advice eppem!! I agree 100% with the comments on the tabs. I do not use them to trim the boat, only to fix a list to a side. I use the engines to trim the boat in most conditions, only in nasty stuff do I use the tabs to trim the boat itself. If you plan with the tabs to perfect the trim, you will go nuts!! Also, this boat responded quicker then some others to the tabs, a very quick tap may be all you need to adjust it, if you hold them down you will never get it.

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Buying a Grady / Sea Trial

Well, Yesterday the wife and I went to preform the sea trial. The dealer had the boat put in the water and here how it goes... The port motor started right up but the starboard motor just clicked and buzzed. We switched batteries and same result. Click, click buzz???

Would anyone have any ideas as to what the problem would be?

Thank You.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It could be a sensor, but I doubt it. Possibly could be low oil level. I wonder what the battery level was at, you can check it of the Yamaha gauges to get an idea, it is fairly accurate. Although, I doubt it was that since it should have started up when you switched the selectors. Do you remember the battery selector locations? One battery should have been to 1 and the other at 2, never run them at all unless you have a dead battery and need to start the other, but then switch right back. This is all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll try and go through the manual to see what else could do that later on.

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Buying a Grady / Sea Trial / DONE DEAL !!!

Hi Folks,

The issue with the motor was the dealer forgot to attach the ground wire on the battery. Problem Fixed.

I want to send a BIG thank you to all that have responded and made suggestions,coments and the heads up on the tabs was right on point. We closed on the deal today and I ran the boat from Manasquan inlet in NJ to Mt. Sinai Harbor here on Long Island. All of you were absoutly correct about the ride. we had 2 to 3's on the Ocean and 1 to 2's on Long Island sound and this boat is worth every penny and possably more. The ride and the 4 strokes preformed beautifully. I now understand why we pay a premium price for these boats.

My Very Best Regards to all,, Dan

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Dan,
Makes it a little easier to write that check when you get to see it all come together. Glad our suggestions were almost correct. Enjoy your new boat, and I think you will remember today's journey for a long time. I certainly remember all of the first rides on all of my previous boats.

Congratulations!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Enjoy the new boat!!! Maybe I'll see you out there and even possibly put together a canyon run. I know 2 others with 265 express's from manasquan, that would be a neat pick with all of them at the fishing the deep. Did the dealer go over the battery selector switch and what position each should be at? The owner's manual goes over this, one should be switched to 1, the other to 2. If you do not run it this way, you will kill your batteries, I did the first weekend with the boat before I had time to read the whol manual....I learned the hard way. Once I started doing it right I never had an issue. If you cannot find what position they should be in I can look it up in my manual. I also marked it with a piece of tape so it is easy to remember which battery goes to what position. Best of luck with the boat!! feel free to pm with any questions.

Tom

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Buying a Grady / Sea Trial / DONE DEAL !!!

Hi Tom,

The dealer did not tell me about the battery's in terms of what position they should be in. I will check this today. I am having the boat hauled and put in my yard until April 1st when my slip in Schinnicock will be ready. I bought a Furuno 3000 VHF and Ebirb that I need to have installed.

I think your idea of a Canyon Run would be alot of fun with three or four on the 265's. I bought 2 80's and two 50's and all kinds of trolling lures so I stand ready.

Thanks Again

gerrys

Reaction score
Dan:
Good luck and tight lines with the new boat!

Regarding your question about ring-free and yammi lube, I consider ring-free to be overkill, particularly if you keep to your oil change scedule and plug replacement interval. Ring-free = more yammi bucks.

If you use the oil grade specified by yamaha, the use of non-yammi oil will not effect the warranty. Keep track of all your maintenance.