Buying a used Grady White Tournament 192

Otselic09

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I'm from Long Island and I'm looking to buy a Grady White for fishing. What should I look for when buying one of these boats ? I own a 31 foot Maine Lobster boat and I'm getting a small boat to trailer out to Montauk Point to fish out there. What concerns me is the wood rot in the transom , can't figure out why there's any rot at all? My 31 foot Maine Boat is wet all the time in the bilge and I haven't seen rot in the 30 years I've owned it. I read somewhere that Grady White started using wood that resists rot about 1997. So based on that I'm looking at boats built after 1997. I figure 100 HP would push this boat pretty good , the fishing off Montauk is fabulous inshore and 100 HP would be cost effective for me.A boat that goes 20 knots or more is certainly better than the 15 knots I do in my 31. I'm use to going slow. Are Grady White parts easy to find, is the hull solid, are the things easy to fix on this boat ? Are the old Grady's all self bailing ? Glad I saw one of these boats on You tube and didn't buy a Mako. I love the look of this boat and it's well designed and thought out. It's probably the biggest and nicest 19 foot boat you can buy for fishing. Thanks for any help.

jbloom

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I agree with glacierbaze a 100HP on a 19 Tournament will be tough to get on plane and if it's loaded down with 3 guys everyone will need to be in the front of the boat. I would go with a 150HP, I had one on my 208 and it did the job when I had 3-4 on the boat. Any more than that and had to have someone come upfront or jump under the cuddy. Also, note: if you hit some 2-3 foot chop in the Peconic you will be banging around a lot in the 19 footer. I would go with a 22 ft if you can swing it. But I know that these boats are not inexpensive. Good luck in your search.

Reactions: Joe Hurley

Willy-C

Reaction score
I agree on the above posters, 100 hp would be underpowered. My 19’ with a 150 2-smoke needs about 23-25mph min to stay up on plane, full tank and a few guys and it struggles out of the hole. 25-30 it humms happily.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I owned a 192. Great Boat and in some ways wish I could have kept it. 150 is the sweet spot for that boat. 100 will be under powered. Grady started using greenwood XL in 2000. Good luck in your search.

Topjimmy

Reaction score
Yep Agree with all above I have had mine since 1994 and has the 150 Saltwater yammie 150 that is still going strong but under 150 HP.??..NO Way too heavy of a boat and have never seen one with anything lower than 150 they are rated for up to 200HP mine gets up on a plane pretty quick with 2-3 people aboard and tops out at about 43Knots and yes they are self bailing mine has never had rot issues as I have keep a eye on the caulking in transom plate all these years to keep it water tight,you can tell I love this boat and never want to get rid of it they are a great all around boat,Skiing,crabbing fishing Diving etc.. one ting I always wanted to do is get rid of the lounge passenger seat and replace with another pedestal for even more deck Space but the Little woman says NO! she likes it

Last edited:

Delaney

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
100 hp propped right will be fine as long as prop rated. sure a little bigger is better like a Mercury 115 command thrust. They all say underpowered but then say 45 + knots fully loaded. That’s is fast. it is all up to what you want and a mannual jack plate
and good prop is where it is at

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
100 horsepower is way underpowered. My 19 tournament had a 175 2-smoke Johnson and topped out at 38 mph turning 5500 rpm. It’s been a while but I think it did about 28-30 mph at 3800-4000 rpm depending on conditions. I recall needing around 24 mph to stay on plane.

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
As far as the rot issue in the transom take a look at fishtales thread on this issue. His marlin is like an 06 or 07. I think the problem is the aluminum cap on the transom corrodes and allows moisture in.