buying a used Grady

lakesideboy

Reaction score
Hi Grady Owners
I have decided to get back into a fishing boat and have decided on a 22' to 25' used Grady
The boat will be used in the Pacific Northwest for offshore fishing of Halibut Salmon and Tuna.
Is the 226 capable of running a round trip of 180 miles or should I be looking at the gulfstream as a min.
How do I check for soft transoms and around what year should the fuel tanks be replaced.
Is there a certain year that I should look for. I don't mined having to repower but I want a solid boat
Thanks
Ken

richie rich

Reaction score
100 miles offshore in the Pacific NW with a 22 footer? A bit more than I could chew....I would want 25 feet minimum in those waters....

as far as what to look for...if you don't want to deal with stringer, transom and fuel tank issues, find a boat less than 20 years old.....10-15 years max or you'll be on the clock for some major replacements.....I would look at year 2000 and up. The SV2 hull was introduced in the mid 90's... If tanks look like crap on the outside, they're getting close to being done altogether......look for stains and runs from screws and thru hulls as a telltale for water and rot....remove a screw below waterline and look for wetness in the core....large stress cracks in transom corners arent good either. And find a good surveyor!!

lakesideboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I figured 200 miles would be what a trip would be if you run 50 to 60 miles from harbor then troll for several hours that a person would put between 150 and 200 miles on before he got back.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I run about 130-150 miles in my 2002 Trophy in Sydney Australia. but never more than 40 miles offshore .
I intend to do the same with my 228 Seafarer when I have her ready for fishing, I have to say she will handle it a lot easier than the Trophy.