Buying first Grady White

KBM

Reaction score
I have decided on buying my first GW. Looking for opinions on Seafarer, Overnighter, Adventurer or Explorer 24. Huge thanks in advance!!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All 3 very nice boats - most of the time bigger is better with boats. If shopping older dates check to see if the model is SVBig difference in the comfort of the ride with the SV2.

Reactions: KBM

seasick

Reaction score
Well that narrows it down:)
Seriously, list your needs, priorities, must haves etc.
Then folks on this site can tell you the pros and cons of each model.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The issue imo with the 204 Overnighter or 24 Explorer is going to be that both boats are an older vintage before 1997 when they switched from using marine grade plywood in the hulls to using a product called Greenwood XL, which is supposedly much better at resisting rot. The other issue again imo, would be that it looks like the 204 Overnighter stopped production in 1992 but the SV2 hull for that size of boat didn’t come out until 1993, which again imo is one of the biggest reasons to buy a Grady White. The SV2 hull is going to make for a more comfortable, smoother, drier ride compared to the previous SV1 hull and there’s a reason why they still used the SV2 today and haven’t changed it back. The 24 Explorer appears to have been made for a few years with the SV2 hull but still has the standard marine grade plywood used, which would make me consider the 208 Adventure or the 228 Seafarer instead.

I’m admittedly a bit biased towards the 228 Seafarer as I have one and love just about everything about it. I love the size of the boat, the versatility of it in that you can overnight on it, fish, crab, go to Seafair or a football game, you can just take it for a cruise or pretty much whatever you want to do with it. It’s trailerable quite easily by yourself as is launching/fishing/retrieving by yourself. I love the transom bracket with the full sized swim platform on the back and the fully enclosed transom as my last boat had a motorwell on it and it just took up fishing space. It has enough room to fish 4+ comfortably and I took 7 people out for a cruise on my boat a week ago and had no issues with comfort or getting it up on a plane. A lot of it will obviously depend on your location, fishing/boating needs and the weather conditions as I wouldn’t want to take it 40+ miles offshore in 3-5’ swells, although it could be done, though it would make for a long day. I like the layout of the 228 Seafarer and went from a 21’ Arima to my current boat, which I also briefly considered a 208 Adventure but I wanted a bigger boat and one with the fully enclosed transom as well as transom bracket on it. And I’m glad that I did. The 208 Adventure can typically be found much more often as it seems like a more popular or higher produced boat as well as can be found for less money. I’d figure out what your fishing/boating needs are, step on each boat and see how you like them both. Good luck!

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the model as you just need to understand your use case and get the best one that fits.
I'd be more concerned about getting a solid boat. All boats will have issues. GW is a good brand but not without its issues. Pay for a competent surveyor for your boat. Well worth the spend to get someone that knows boats and motors. The older the more likely you will have some issues to address. Most things can be addressed but you want to avoid a lemon.