Buying/refurbishing a tournament 19

Belladonna

Reaction score
I'm open to suggestions on refurbishing a 1988 tournament 19". I should be picking it up around mid-December and it's in fairly decent shape. The teak needs some serious work and the hull is showing the typical fading/chalking/staining that can be expected from a 1988 model.

Our intent is to make this look as original as possible, starting from the top down. there are things I want to remove and not replace (wiper mecanisms, horn, etc.) that will require repair to attachment points. I've got a bit of glass to replace, but luckily, I have a contact that does all the glass for Parker boats, so I have a good source for that.

Again, we're open to suggestions and look forward to some expert and experienced folks to share their ideas.

Thanks,

Jack and Donna

Belladonna

Reaction score
Thanks for the overwhelming response folks!

I was hoping for some valuable suggestions. I guess as a retired CWO Bosun Mate, I'll just rely on my experience and, ummm, shall we say, more responsive contacts!!.

Luck to all

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite. My brother had an 86 192 and I do recall when Grady trimmed the boats with teak. I had an 98 192 and loved the boat, perhaps the best all around 19 footer on the water. I would suggest keeping the wiper and horn, meaning replace with new equipment especially if you get a full canvas top with full curtains. I have been stopped by the FWS and USCG/AUx for safety inspections and a working horn is on the list. My brother was an officer in the Navy aboard a boomer out of Kingbay. We were coming in from a fishing trip in his Grady back in 97 when a USCG stopped us in the ICW in Wilmington, NC. They were the real coasties and they asked my brother if he ever drove a boat before and he said to them, yeah I drove submarines for the Navy and captained 44 bluewater sailboats out of Anapolis as an instructor for the Naval Academy. My brother being a former Naval officer was very polite. The Coast Guard Ensign got ticked off and cited my brother for not having his VHF license...back in 96/97 they still required anyone with a VHF radio to have a license, my brother did, it was at home. I could have the year off, but the story was for real.

The moral of the story is to have your boat's horn and safety gear in working order and never tell the coast guard you use to be in the Navy, they get jealous or something.

I would call Grady, maybe they could steer you into where to find the teak, they may sell you the oem stripes and logo too.

Belladonna

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I plan on removing, refurbishing and then re-installing the teak with new fasteners myself.

As far as the horn, CG regs will allow a handheld, which I can stow in a bracket to the right of the console. No rust, no fuss.

Not sure that the wipers will do much good other than being another rust attractor. I would think liberal and frequent applications of rain-ex, or something similiar, would be more practical? I'm open on this one. If there is a wiper system that won't rust/scale, I'll go for it.

As an aside, I was in charge of a law enforcement detachment and spent a lot of time with the Navy, particularly on Aegis class cruisers. They treated us like King's. I believe they just couldn't comprehend us getting off a big boat, to get on a small rubber boat, to board beat up fishing boats!

Anyway, nothing but Kudos and respect for the Navy from this Coastie.

Thanks for biting. I'll take any and all suggestions to getting this 19' to the point that my wife will be glad we got it (still a questionable proposition at this point)!!

gw204

Reaction score
Belladonna said:
Thanks for the overwhelming response folks!

I was hoping for some valuable suggestions. I guess as a retired CWO Bosun Mate, I'll just rely on my experience and, ummm, shall we say, more responsive contacts!!.

Luck to all

Not trying to upset you, but you posted on a Sunday afternoon when people are finishing up their weekends and were crying for a response before noon on a Monday. Have a little patience.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an '86 190....one of the last years where the dash didn't have a radio box, and the transom was 20" instead of 25".

I'd scrap the teak and replace it with duratrim or better yet, starboard. Use the pieces as a guide and get yourself some sheets of 1/4" in the almond GW color. Save yourself some maintenance there. I'd also do the same for the anchor locker cover, which - in my year anyway, was also made of teak. I dropped the hatch one day and it shattered.

Check the hatch cover in the center of the floor. Mine had gotten soft. I took it out and reinforced it with a piece of plywood, then glassed the thing up and put it back together. 2 250 lb guys could jump on it after that and it wouldn't move. Of course, it also was a lot heavier to lift.

Check the transom, electrical, and if its 20 years old, probably the fuel tank. I replaced that as well. RDS had the plans on file and built me an exact replacement.

Good luck and post pics.

Belladonna

Reaction score
It's got a new fuel tank and system in it, just replaced this past summer. Anchor locker and hatch covers on this one are fiberglass.

The teak is the trim, boarding platform and door on the helmsman side locker. Replacing with starboard is a good idea, isn't that pretty spendy stuff? I'll have to wrestle with that one a bit, we both really like the look of cleaned up teak.

I should have it in the driveway in a couple of weeks, I'll get some pics then.

Thanks all!!

p.s. gw204......I wasn't crying at all, it's called sarcasm. Though crass, it is a form of humor and it did, after all, illicit some very valuable responses. I would also mention that 6:45 p.m. is well after noon.

Sorry if I upset you.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Actually, the starboard is not particularly expensive.

If you aren't handy with a jig or don't want to cut it yourself, you can remove and label all the old pieces, then send them to Fin Addict (http://www.finaddictmarine.com) I've had them make several things for me...cupholders...dash panels for flush mounted electronics, etc... They have the matching GW color, do great work fast, and are extremely reasonably priced.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
parthery,
The starboard stuff would be better maintenance wise. I wonder if he means restore as in looking like an OEM boat or making it like new today? I took it as he wanted to restore the boat to its original look. My brother's 192 had teak and it was a pain in the rear for him to keep anywhere nice...

uncljohn

Reaction score
gw204 said:
Not trying to upset you, but you posted on a Sunday afternoon when people are finishing up their weekends and were crying for a response before noon on a Monday. Have a little patience.

Note he also joined 8 minutes before his first post. Good thing this isn't thehulltruth or he would have been crushed! :<><

As someone who's restored an 88 Seafarer, you will spend a number of hours removing, cleaning, oiling, and re-installing the teak. It will look spectacular for about 3 weeks and within 2 months it will be exactly the same state as it was prior to any treatment. So I advise either accept the state its in, accept that you will be oiling teak weekly for the rest of your boat's life, or accept that you need to remove it and replace with a different/new material.

Also a wiper is an important piece of equipment on my boat.