Buying Used Gulfstream 205

Kassie1

Reaction score
Hi everyone- I'm new to this group. I'm going to look at a used Gulfstream 205 tomorrow and wondered whether anyone had any advice on what to look for. I"m the typical newby I'm afraid. This would be my first boat. The seller is asking $5,500 and it was repowered in 2004. Any warning signs I should look for in an old boat like this? Any advice much appreciated. I have my heart set on a Grady so hope this one works out.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey;
First off, it's a Gulfstream 232 as opposed to a 205..

There are experts on here that can answer the warning signs better than myself.
My only contribution would be to ask what year the boat is, and at $5500, there are probably definite repair hurdles to tackle.
Possibly weak transom, flooring may be suspect..The boat was most likely used in saltwater....There is extra deterioration that accompanies that.

Anyway, this much I know..Get an expert or a surveyor, or both to go over the boat.
At $5500, you don't have a lot invested, but it could turn into a huge repair project that you may not want to tackle.

Take Care,

Magicalbill.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I would start by determining the year of the boat. Fomthere you can look at the catalog for that year on the Grady White website. I seem to remember an earlier model (70's maybe) that was also know as a "Gulfstream" and not to be confused with today's Gulstream.

Also check out the Gallery section of this site for pictures of Gulfstreams.

As to other issues, get a good survey done.

Good luck.

Kassie1

Reaction score
Will do. Thanks so much. Seems like a survey is the way to go if it looks in good shape.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
DO you know what the power is. That may tip you off if it is a 232 Gulfstream. Seems like a 2004 engine would be worth more than is being aske for the total package? a Gulfstream would need the bare minimum of a 4 stroke 225.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Price seems very low for a repowered boat, that engine alone is worth more then they are asking, I'd be very cautious. EIf it is a 232 gulfstream for that price and repowered, something is very wrong I'd assume. If it is an older model and a 20' gulfstream from a while back with that repower it might be too much weight for the transom and boat to handle and sit correctly in the water and the owner is trying to get rid of her cheap. It almost seems like the seller is trying to get some of the value of the engine and giving the boat away for free. I'd ask for ALL service records, if they are not available, walk away. Ask for the bill from the repower, I repowered in 2000 and still have it for my old boat and the new owner will recieve that copy. Have the owner start the motor, listen for it missing or running rough, that is a bad sign if it does. If that checks out, I'd consider a marine surveyor and engine tech, if the boat is selling that cheap it may have been a salvage and the engine may have been pickled or will need lots of work, unless someone just has no clue what they are selling and is trying to unload it. Let us know how it works out. I hope all works out for you but something smells fishy here.

Kassie1

Reaction score
Well - It turned out he couldn't show it Saturday and I couldn't make it today. But I did find out that the motor is Inboard/outboard, is not water cooled. No word back on the year yet but we'll be talking tomorrow. He says its ready to go and that I would be very happy with the boat. But after reading all your posts, I'm a little wary now. If I do look at it, I will definitely have someone look at it.

Tunateaser

Reaction score
Hey Kassie 1,

Don't be discouraged if this one does not work out. As a new boater you want your very 1st vessle to be seaworthy and reliable (Outboar Yamaha) in the motor department. Your 1st choice for a Grady White is a wise one, however remember your buyer beware manners. The folks on this site can walk you through most of the information and lead you to a great boat.

Very good luck and keep the questions coming........

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looks like the boat you are looking at is an 80's vintage 205 Gulfstream. It is the I/O version of the 204. Here is a link to the 80's catalog. The Gulfstream is on page 16.

http://www.gradywhite.com/customer/cata ... s/1980.pdf

FYI - the seller probably meant the engine has a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger. Raw water is circulated through the heat exchanger to cool the freshwater (with antifreeze) that circulates through the engine.

Grady205

Reaction score

Don't know how you ever made out with the Gulfstream if you bought it or not.
The main problem they had was the 3.7 liter(470) engine that was used in a lot of them other than that they are great boats.
I have had my 1981 205 gulfstream since 1990 and have never seen the need to replace it. I replaced the 3.7 with a 3.0 and regeared the outdrive and have no probs with it ever since.
Any questions let me know,as an 18 year owner of one of these boats I have seen just about every glitch she has had.