"C-Time" Deep Drop, Norfolk Canyon, 31Dec10

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
This trip started when I saw Mike Avery's post on TidalFish on Tuesday evening about NOT chasing stripers on Friday, but possibly making a deep drop run. We did some coordination on a two-boat trip, as it's always nicer to have company out there.

"C-Time" left her slip in Pretty Lake at 0415, with admiral Cathy and our friends Chuck (Flounderman) and Doug as crew. We were suprised to find skim ice all the way to the mouth of Little Creek Inlet, but once clear of the inlet it was a great ride. We ran at 26+kts all the way to our first drop spot near the southeast corner of the Canyon. Seas were glass smooth for the first half of the trip, then a small wind chop developed, but nothing to slow us down. We had a waning crescent moon off the starboard bow, and a beautiful sunrise as we neared the Canyon.

We dropped lines about 0730, then worked from the initial spot westward to other areas of the south wall, then shifted to the north wall, then to the north flats, and finally finished our day following Matador and Seaduction to the Ostfriesland wreck. We cleared lines at 1330, and started the 78nm run back to Little Creek Inlet at 1340. Had a good run back in light chop, making the inlet at 1635. Spent two hours cleaning fish at Little Creek Marina, then finally back to our slip at Harbor Walk. Even got to officially weigh two fish at LCM when we found Doug still working at 1700. Chuck's citation BLT was 14.75# and his Golden Tile was 50#.

As to the fishing, despite finding sharks at every drop except the Ostfriesland and a surprising low BSB population, we did have a nice collection of Golden Tile, Blueline Tile, BSB, Bluefish, Rosefish, and one Conger Eel (donated locally last night). Highlights include Doug's first golden on his new Daiwa electric, a 16# Golden for Cathy, a 14.75# citation BLT for Chuck (no photo), and the largest Golden ever on "C-Time", taken by Chuck after a long fight on his Daiwa Saltist 50.

Here are some photos:

Doug's Golden - our first fish of the day:
Doug%20GT.jpg

Cathy's Golden - the second fish:
Cathy%20GT.jpg

Third fish of the day was Chuck's big Golden Tile.
Coming over the side (photo courtesy of Seaduction):
Big%20GT%20on%20the%20gaff.jpg

Chuck and his catch:
Chuck%20GT1.jpg

Chuck%20GT2.jpg

Chuck's Rosefish:
Chuck%20Rosie.jpg

Chuck and his fish, one last time:
Chuck%20GT3.jpg

We had a really fantastic day, and it was a fine way to end the year. Couldn't ask for, or expect, better weather, and the company onboard had a great time.

It was really nice to have other boats in company, so I send my thanks to Mike Avery (and Admiral Lanie) on Seaduction, and to Mike Beane on Matador.

I need to get better at remembering to take photos of other boats, as well as more photos of interesting fish caught (Chuck always reminds me, so more photos of him).

Best wishes for a Happy New Year to all anglers and their families.

Brian

ninodog10309

Reaction score
Greta story !!! nice pics !!! Biggest Tile Ive ever seen ! What is the red fish ? cool looking ...

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ninodog10309 said:
Greta story !!! nice pics !!! Biggest Tile Ive ever seen ! What is the red fish ? cool looking ...

Black-belly Rosefish.

PITA to clean, but taste like BSB.